Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Asking For My Brother—hope Someone Could Help US Out

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 486Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
289 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  01:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All!

I know the folks here are brilliant with identifying medals and other things!

My brother sent me the images and asked me if the medal is valuable or not. We are not sure whether we should discard it or not.

I can see the name of designer E.Franco on this medal. It looks antique to me.

Please kindly point us in the right direction or find right information. I tried goggled to no avail?

I think this medal is French?

Welcome all the inputs and assistance are gratefully received in the advance!

Kind regards,

Carrigna

Pillar of the Community
United States
6373 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  02:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be a large medal issued in France in 1900.

I found this on the internet:

ZK69, France, Bronze Medal 1900 (Ř63mm, 101.2g) by Chaplain, Paris Olympic Games, Universal Exhibition

There are several of them up on eBay. Just search 1900 French Medal in "Coins" and they should be easy to find.

Do a little research and you should be able to find exactly what you are looking for. Definitely worth something!

Good luck!
Edited by westernsky
01/24/2022 02:44 am
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  02:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@westernsky, thank for this information! Much appreciated!

How did you manage to identify this medal? I tried it myself to no avail? On the Internet, I meant?

It looks like the box on the bottom on reverse is for the individual who participated?

How do we know which it is a medal or desk medal?

Will return back here with any further information I could find.

I know this forum is a right place to ask for help!

Once again, thank for your help!
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  03:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On that link, the poster stated: " The 1900 Exposition was held in Paris at the same time as the Olympics, though the Olympics was not the greater attraction. Jules Clement Chaplain was one of five French medalists to produce medals, plaquettes and medalets for the occasions. The others, in no particular order were, Frederic Charles Victor de Vernon, Louis Oscar Roty, Adolphe Rivet and Louis Bottee. In Victor Gadoury's book, Olympic Medals and Coins, the Chaplain medal is listed at 63.4mm and was struck in silver and bronze. There is no mention of an 80mm specimen of the same design, nor one with the lanyard coupling. It is possible that one of the award winners commissioned the enlargement (for family?) since the concave obverse you mentioned sounds a bit odd. It is also possible that it was reproduced in silvered bronze which was cheaper to have made as opposed to one of pure silver. Since all of the medals were produced at the Paris Mint, did you check the edge for the mintmark and composition? The mintmark for all Paris Mint medals of the period was the "cornucopia". Silver medals would have "ARGENT" stamped on the edge and bronze or silvered bronze medals would have "BRONZE" on the edge. Chaplain is one of my favorite French medalists, and I like his 1900 Exposition Universelle so much that I have three of them in bronze. For what it is worth, I have been watching for one of the silver medals for about 9-10 years, but I have never seen a single one. "

Interesting background on this medal!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6373 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  03:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The quality of the medal appears to be outstanding. It definitely does not need to be discarded! It is collectible to someone!

I just searched for "French Medals 1900" and went thru the results and picked out what appeared to be close to yours. At least you have some leads to work with now.

Good luck!
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  03:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks, @westernsky, for your help! You made it so easy to look up on the Internet!

Now I know how to look for the information next time. This is the very first time my brother asked for my help.

I truly appreciate your help more than you ever know!
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  03:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had passed the information onto my brother. Hope @westernsky's findings and my findings help him.

Will report when I have heard from him.

I certainly learnt something new about the medal tonight.

Many thanks for your help!
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  01:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@westernsky, my brother was and still is very pleased with your help and the information we supplied him with is very helpful and useful. He will decide what to do with the medal.

As for me, it was a learning process and I learnt something new about this medal.

Now I will be careful not to dismiss medals even if I do not collect them.

Thank you!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6373 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OP - You are very welcome! We all try to help each other here as much as we can. Good luck!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7528 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now I will be careful not to dismiss medals even if I do not collect them.

The Key Learning of your exercise, IMO. Many collectors never learn this and dismiss medals without a thought.

Medals offer much in the way of art and history to the collector - they are well-deserving of attention!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2022  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Commems,

Well said! I do appreciate your pointer!

Sorry it takes me so long in replying to this post here.

Thanks again,

Carrigna
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 486Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: