Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Big Noodle: Australian 2 Dollar Coins

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 112 / Views: 4,911Next Topic
Page: of 8
Pillar of the Community
Australia
561 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  02:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Welcome to the $2 sub-thread in my quest to noodle a full set of circulating Australian decimal coins from scratch starting in April 2022.

Noodling two dollar coins was pretty boring up until 2011 which saw the release of the first really low mintage aboriginal elder coin (mintage 1.8 million). Then 2012 saw the introduction of commemorative two dollar coins (both coloured and non-coloured). Since then there has been an absolute explosion of coloured coins which is getting quite hard to keep up with.

1988-2011 saw 23 coins released into circulation all with the aboriginal elder reverse.

2012-2021 has seen another 57 coins and counting including some weird and wacky sets such as Possum Magic, Mr Squiggle and the Wiggles distributed through Woolworths.

No two dollar coin was issued for circulation in 1991.

There is confusion whether the now valuable 2012 red poppy $2 coin ever was a true circulation coin. They were distributed by the RSL for a $10 "donation". Most collectors consider them to be a non-circulation coin but since the RAM regards them as a circulation coin I will keep a slot open for it in my collection of circulated two dollar coins.

Edited by MachinMachinMan
04/05/2022 02:36 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
561 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  02:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Day 2

The first $2 noodle ($600) resulted in finding most of the aboriginal elder coins including, surprisingly, 2x 2011. However it yielded only 9 of the 44 coloured coins and no coloured coins before 2018.

Total $2 coins noodled: 300
Coins found: 39
Coins still to find: 41

Hopefully I will have more funds available for the next $2 noodle (A full bag is $2000 worth).
04/05/2022 02:49 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
561 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  02:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some better pics of the coloured coins I found today.

And no, I don't know what the Wallabies (Australian Rugby Union team) did to merit a coin minted in their honor (besides losing to the All-Blacks for about 20 years in a row).
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4081 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  02:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could probably ask that question about Possum Magic, Mr Squiggle and the Wiggles, silly kids programmes and really just wallpaper coins.

Given the way all our teams are playing lately - I think the wallabies losing streak may be coming to an end.

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4018 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MMM that's a great start.
Good to see you got the rare HH 1988 and 1989 coins.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Edited by triggersmob
04/05/2022 05:24 am
Valued Member
Australia
123 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  06:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crab eater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Prosegur or Armaguard?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
561 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Good to see you got the rare HH 1988 and 1989 coins.

Don't get me started on those HH coins

Quote:
Prosegur or Armaguard?

Don't get me started on Prosegur either

These were Armaguard sachets.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19828 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The easiest way to collect $2 coloured coins is to have a 500 gram peanut butter jar. and just throw all $2 coloured coins that come from pocket change into the jar.
Probably will take maybe two years or more to fill to fill the jar, but that is OK.
When the jar is full, just take two of the best examples of each design and date, and return the rest to circulation to be spent on petrol for your car.
I have an almost complete two sets of $2 coloured coins, all taken from circulation at face value.

Actually, I have done this for all commemorative coins of all denominations, but I used a 2 litre jar. Also I saved a few definitive coins that have survived in exceptionally high condition as well. Took me almost 4 years to fill the jar.
The 50 Cents and 20 Cents parts of the collection are also quite interesting, cost less in face value, and are also almost complete.

About 300 coins in two almost complete sets.
Learn More...
United States
114684 Posts
Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silverado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1216 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2022  06:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haven't seen a 2018 armistice in a while. Nice going!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
561 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2022  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Day 8

Could only get my hands on $400 worth of $2 coins for this noodle.

Found 10 coins I needed.

I actually found 16 coloured coins today which works out at two per roll which is more than I usually find. Still no coloured coins before 2017.

As for the aboriginal elder coins I found the lower mintage 1993 and the 2017 and 2019 IRB.

Also found the 2018 Invictus Games commemorative coin.

Some bigger pics of the 6 new coloured coins I found today:

Total number of two dollar coins noodled: 500
Number of different coins found: 49
Number of coins still to find: 31
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4081 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2022  04:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good work, some of those $2 coin designs are comical - yet I seem to love collecting them.

I love COINS!!!
Learn More...
United States
114684 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
561 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2022  01:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Day 12

Noodled $500 worth of $2 coins today and found 7 new coins including the last 3 non-coloured coins I needed.

2012 "gold poppy", 2016 change-over and 2019 JC effigy.

Found a bunch of coloured coins. Getting sick of the sight of "Dorothy the Dinosaur".

The new coloured coins were the "Gus" 2019 Mr Squiggle coin; the 2020 75th Anniversary of the end of World War 2; the 2020 Tokyo Olympics yellow "striving" coin and completing the 2021 Wiggles series "Wags the Dog".

The rest of the coins left to find are coloured coins. I've only found 1 dated before 2018. Looks like they are going to take me a while to find.

Total number of two dollar coins noodled: 750
Number of different coins found: 56
Number of coins still to find: 24
04/15/2022 01:55 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4081 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2022  03:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
75th anniversary is a good one to find.

Interesting about pre 2017 as I consider the 2016 Olympic coins the first real common ones.

Good work finding that Gold poppy too.

Love watching your threads, its a lot of fun watching you fulfil your goals. Give it time, a Red Poppy with a Canberra mintmark will fall into your hands before you know it!

Sending positive vibes.

I love COINS!!!
Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 112 / Views: 4,911Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: