Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are You Keeping All Pre-1960 Jefferson Nickels When You're Coin Roll Hunting?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,977Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  2:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Joshu - a to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
Are you keeping all pre-1960 Jefferson nickels when you're coin roll hunting?

Poll Choices
 Yes
 No

Edited by Joshu - a
04/08/2022 2:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1841 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep all nickels I get in change along with pennies, dimes, and quarters. All just go into a change jar.
Learn More...
United States
114780 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep all nickels I get. I have not spent a nickel in years.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazy Monkey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep them. I figure why not keep them if I'm pulling out all the wheat cents from the same era.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17752 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes and I have been doing it for the last 60 years .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70239 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not saved a single nickel for the last 60 years other than readable-date Buffs.
Edited by Coinfrog
04/08/2022 5:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1126 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure why, but I dump pre-60 nickels into a special box. This actually came in handy last year as I found that my sister-in-law was trying to make nickel folders for each of her two grandkids, and I was able to donate a healthy pile of nickels to her. I made a list of the one's she still needs and recently found another five, which I'll give her when I see her for Easter dinner.

I have been pretty unable to get many coins of any denomination the past year, but what I do run across I'll keep.
Learn More...
United States
24188 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While my days of being a CRHer are behind me, I still save pre-1960 nickels when I happen upon them.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2010 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have tossed more than I can count, in the short time I've been searching nickels. Tossed half a dozen non silver content 40's this week. Let me know if there is a reason not to.
-makecents-
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joshu - a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Let me know if there is a reason not to.

The RedBook says pre-50s nickels are worth more than face value.

Pre-50s nickels can be sold by the roll for profit similar to selling Wheat penny rolls.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2010 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The RedBook says pre-50s nickels are worth more than face value.

Pre-50s nickels can be sold by the roll for profit similar to selling Wheat penny rolls.
Good enough, I'll do some research and get back to you, you do the same and we'll post here. Thanks for the info.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
1841 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

What kinds of prices are you seeing? I don't plan on going through mine to separate them out...just more curious than anything else.
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2022  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joshu - a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What kinds of prices are you seeing? I don't plan on going through mine to separate them out...just more curious than anything else.

Now I have to wonder myself. I checked ebay, and I see a few listings of circulated Jefferson nickel rolls but not too many.

I'm keeping them based on the mintage figures. I don't actually keep anymore 1959 nickels just like I don't keep 1959 pennies. I assumed the much smaller mintage figures of wheat cents compared to memorial cents is part of the reason why wheat pennies are worth more than face value.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2010 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2022  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now I have to wonder myself. I checked ebay, and I see a few listings of circulated Jefferson nickel rolls but not too many.
I looked at the sold rolls and it looked like uncircs, like dates and wartime nickels, are most of what makes up these sales. At the end of the day, if it makes you happy, that's all that matters, enjoy what you do or it's not worth doing.

LINK https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...=1&LH_Sold=1
-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17752 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2022  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only reason why I started to save all Jefferson nickels from 1938 to 1964 is because 60 years ago I said to myself, someday you won't see anymore of these with mint marks on the reverse . So hence I saved all circs and BU Jeff's singles and rolls all 3 mints . I wouldn't say I've made a killing but I had tons of fun sorting them out by Date , mints and condition in plastic tubes .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4256 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2022  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dumped over 1,000 1946-1958 a couple years ago, and those were accumulated thru roll hunting in about a years time about seven years ago. Most of those were found in collection dumps so I just felt they were just too common to hold.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,977Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: