Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown Coin Found Near Zapata Texas (Id: US Counter Token)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 650Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2022  9:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DentDie1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello to everyone here, 

I found this coin 30+ years ago while metal detecting with my grandfather in Zapata, TX. near the Old Mexico border. I've yet to identify it all these years later, but I might easily be missing an obvious reference. The circle on back is what really gives me pause. I don't have the proper scale for weight, but the o.d. is 15mm, and one pic I've included shows some other coins for comparison.

Thanks for any help.

Learn More...
United States
24189 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2022  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That circle on the rev gives me pause too. I wonder if this isn't part of a button. I'll be interested to see what others think.

Welcome to CCF by the way!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1733 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2022  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, glad you can ask us!

I happen to have one very similar yours, and best I can come up with is some kind of play money of sorts. It was probably issued some time in the 1890s based on the 'date' 1890.
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2022  07:06 am  Show Profile   Check bugil46's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep
Very interesting.
Like to know more.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2022  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometime back someone posted a pic of that token, but it had 2 holes drilled in it, top and bottom...
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Learn More...
United States
114786 Posts
Learn More...
Australia
14503 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2022  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lug mount on the back clearly indicates that this was, indeed, a button. It was never a genuine coin, but rather, a button copying the design of a coin. Using coins as jewellery was a fashionable way to show off your wealth, and if you couldn't actually afford to throw perfectly good money away by turning it into jewellery, you bought cheap "costume jewellery" replicas instead.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
5187 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2022  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why would a button be decorated on the backside?
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2022  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

Quote:
That circle on the rev gives me pause too. I wonder if this isn't part of a button.

Quote:
The lug mount on the back clearly indicates that this was, indeed, a button.

Quote:

Just a question. Could this be a cuff link, rather than a button? That might explain the two-sided design.
Learn More...
Australia
14503 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Button-backs have all kinds of designs on them, from plain to elaborate. Often they'll have a maker's name or at least a city of origin.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SaturnD51 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The eagle is the same design eagle holding the three arrows which they used on military buttons in the Civil wars in the U.S. Hard to boil it down to one area because there were so many individual designs made for military uniforms.

On the other side the coin doesn't looked to be convex like a button only flat. Might of been a war trade token.
Edited by SaturnD51
04/13/2022 2:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SaturnD51 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found it! (1890) EAGLE 820 / WREATH 810a (R-7) US COUNTER TOKEN

Learn More...
United States
24189 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done @sat. This other example seems to have had that rev circle ground off.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SaturnD51 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I wonder what that circle was for?
Valued Member
Spain
108 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2022  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Veton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. You can find similar items in http://www.botonistica.es/catalogo19/pgeneral.html but with different designs (page 6 number 152, spanish coat of arms; p.9 n. 271, argentina c.o.a.; p.18 n. 804 mexican eagle; p.19 n. 849 uruguayan coat of arms).

It seems to be a product of an unknown fabricant (I think european). Theese counters -probably- were made as yours and the user could add a loop and be used as button, or to drill a border hole, and be used as medal, or to be soldered to a handle and used as gas or petrol lamp regulation Knob or ... to do nothing and be used as game token ...

Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 650Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: