Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1834 One Shilling Gulielmus Grading?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 457Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
65 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2022  1:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ABuchan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi

I think I'm in the correct section with this post.
I'm looking for a grade on this 1834 one shilling. Please and thanks.
Also, at first glance it appears to have a die crack until further inspection you will see it's a cat fur. Lol darn cat keeps sabotaging my coin folders, no idea how he does it at a distance, he's sneaky.

Edited by ABuchan
04/16/2022 3:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
644 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2022  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Either of ours can manage to float a hair in your cup of tea, even if they're out of the house.
Nice shilling. UK grading; problem free Good Fine.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10685 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2022  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice shilling. UK grading; problem free Good Fine.

My cat Pablo has very fine hair that looks like cotton wool... but sometimes in my coin albums I still find ginger and white hairs from a cat I had years ago!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4122 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2022  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good Fine, heading towards VF - also the coin is dated 1834 not 1835.

Ruler is William IV (1830 - 1837), Gulielmus is the Latin for William.

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4122 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2022  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My cat, Tequila Ms Fluffy was a Maine Coon and she was the furriest cat on earth, shedded fur like crazy. Even 4 months after her death, I am still finding cat fur around the house.

However by the time I started doing coins, she was already 12 and not leaping around as much, so cat fur is one of the issues with my coins I never had. I usually kept any album closed unless looking at it, and stored up high.

PS - ABuchan your shilling is MUCH better than my 1834 shilling, in fact all my William IV are worn except for an 1836 Shilling and Groat which are around the condition of your coin. His coins are very hard to find really high grade, which contrasts heavily with those of the previous and subsequent reigns.

I love COINS!!!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
474 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2022  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Gulielmus is the Latin for William.

I wonder why they decided this. The name William is derived from Wilhelm, a Germanic name, while Guillaume is a French derivation of Wilhelm. The Italian is Guglielmo. The Romans had nothing to do with it. Why not Williamus?

Quote:
His coins are very hard to find really high grade.

Yes you have to spend quite a lot to get much better. I only have one William IV and it's a sixpence, which seem to be slightly less pricey, yet it's still fairly worn. Were they low mintages (1m+ doesn't sound low) or just not set aside at the time?

William IV Sixpence, 1831

London. Silver, 19mm, 2.8g. (S 3836).
Edited by JohnConduitt
04/17/2022 09:33 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4122 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2022  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The name William is derived from Wilhelm, a Germanic name, while Guillaume is a French derivation of Wilhelm

Good point, but there is no W in the Latin language. Could actually come from the Italian translation - Guglielmo and Italian is the closest language to Latin.

Quote:
Yes you have to spend quite a lot to get much better. I only have one William IV and it's a sixpence, which seem to be slightly less pricey, yet it's still fairly worn

"Whatchu talkin bout JohnC" - I don't see much "wear" on that beauty, the coin looks like a proof, although the 6d was one of the few coins issued for circulation that year.

William IV are hard to find high grade (gVF up in opinion) as they were only issued in 5 years (1831 scarce in most cases, 1834 and 1836 common, 1835 mostly scarce and 1837 quite common). Numbers of coins minted were modest and many were used down to the 1920s and later. Plus he only ruled 7 years and had one coinage type, Victoria ruled 63 years and George IV 10 years but he had 3 major coin types and fairly high numbers minted (Although his coins are hardly mega common).

I love COINS!!!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
474 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2022  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they were used into the 1920s, that would explain it. Even with millions minted there are going to be a lot of very worn coins.

Is collecting William IV popular? Even Victoria's in top condition are expensive when there seem to be huge numbers of great coins, but there are a lot of Victoria collectors. They were technically usable until very recently but nothing silver would've lasted that long.

Victoria is another monarch with an interesting Latin translation - her name literally is the Latin for Victory, so to a Roman it would appear the living personification of victory had taken over the Empire.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4122 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2022  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We could take a seed poll there I guess. I would say his coins have fans, as there was really only 5 years they were issued (1831 mostly proofs, but some like 6d and 1d issued) and 1834 - 1837, as far as I know only Maundy came out in 1832 and 1833.

The short reign and plain designs next to the frippery of GIV also sells the reign to me. I always jump at the chance to buy a William IV coin when I see it. Maybe some other collectors of UK coins could answer it too, but for me a yes.

I think its also a fun reign as you saw the issue too of the tiny 1d coins and the 4d reissued as well.

I agree that his coins and early Victoria are hard to find really nice. You can buy high grade W4 and Victoria earlies, but they will cost you and even the usual worn stuff is less cheap and scarce. Most worn coins are either G3/G4 or Post 1875 Victoria I find.

That is not to say its impossible, my 1849 Godless Florin was only $250 and its practically EF (That's a 1st year and only 1 year coin), plus I have a couple of decent early head shillings that cost under $100 each.

And Yes Victoria was the goddess of Victory, thats Latin - of course the Greek was Nike, from Athena Nike.

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
532 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2022  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1837 sixpence common? I think maybe not definitely not in high grade that's 100% certain . Lowest mintage of the series 506,880. 1831 next with 1,340,195 and if you are really really fortunate you might even own the holy grail of the era. 1837 with BB/RITANNIAR error. Oh wait what do I see before my very eyes

Bedrock of the Community
United States
24571 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-20 details, scratched.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 457Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: