Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1950 Australian Penny Errors

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 515Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  12:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone.
I am aware that ghosting is pretty common however does anyone know if you can tell whether other errors like those on the obverse are PMD or happened during minting? The 'cracks' on the left hand edge are just surface and again don't know if PMD or mint damage? Any comments are most appreciated.

Valued Member
Australia
453 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  04:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The standard at the Perth Mint was generally poor in the post-war period.
All sorts of issues.
This coin has a planchet issue obverse and also something else of the left hand side as mentioned.
I don't know the cause but its fairly common.
Ride due west as the sun sets. Turn left at the Rocky Mountains.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
85 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with echidna about Perth Mint in that period.

Hard to tell from the pic, but the 'crack' seems to be planchet flaw also maybe.

Are they 'lumps' (CUD) under the GE of GEORGIVS and between R : O?
It is a sad looking obverse in a good way (from someone who likes a good error)
Valued Member
Australia
453 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  05:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics are too small to see much of anything.
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Are they 'lumps' (CUD) under the GE of GEORGIVS and between R : O? "

No mate. They are 'cuts' that look like PMD wear & tear. If I enlarge the pics they lose focus but will try this.

thanks to you and echidna for the feed back. Most appreciated.
Learn More...
United States
113522 Posts
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  03:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all. Hope you don't mind me re hashing this.
I thought I would try again to see if any more definitive ideas could be put forward as to how the 'damages' have happened.
One is the stripe that looks like it was hit by a reeded coin yet the coin would have had to be the size of a cricket ball surely? If planchet/lamination error then how does that happen with that stuttered appearance rather than the 'scrapes' that are usually seen?
Then there are the squiggly lines. What would cause those? They are slightly scored into the surface of the coin. I haven't been able to find similar elsewhere as yet.
I am not worried whether the coin has financial value or not as for me it has (hopefully) educational value. The grade of the coin would be VG to F at best I would think so apart from the interest in the errors it has no real monetary value.
Thanks for all the inputs people. Sincerely appreciated.

Valued Member
Australia
453 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  03:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A better pic is needed.
Way too fuzzy.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
85 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  04:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree... better pic please :)
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully these are a tad better?

Valued Member
Australia
453 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  05:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a scratch above RGI and the other issue (the stripe) is a planchet flaw/streak.
Very common.
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  05:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks echinda. The 'scratch' is also below the E in DEF and cuts through a couple of the denticles. Also above the I and D in VID. Any idea of what would do that? Not that deep but pretty deep for a scratch. More a shallow gouge?
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  06:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
actually chops off a small piece of 2 denticles. Cant get a very clear photo unfortunately.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2014 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2022  03:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could be struck through a wire but I'm not sure how to tell a strike through from a scratch in this case.
Valued Member
New Zealand
110 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NZStamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That crack by Georges name appears on a lot of pennies on various years.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 515Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: