Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Confusion Over Mexico Colonial Copper Coinage 1814-1821

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 272Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5423 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  10:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I hope that one of our Spanish Colonial Experts can help sort this out. Apologies in advance for any misuse of terminology, but I am referring to copper coinage struck in the name of Ferdinand VII.

When I look at the NGC version of Krause, I see these denominations:
- KM#59 1/8 Pilon https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...talogNumber=
- KM#63 1/4 Tlaco https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...duid-1416776
- KM#64 2/4 Senal https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...untry=MEXICO®ion=All+Regions&denom=2/4+Senal&date=&catalogInitials=&catalogNumber=

When I look up recent examples in acsearch, I see these differences and "equivalents" given:
KM#59 is called "copper octavo = 1/16 real" by Sedwick, and "1/8 tlaco = 1/4 real" by Aureo & Calico
KM#63 is called "1/4 tlaco = 1/8 real" in an older listing by Sedwick, but "1/4 tlaco = 1/2 real" by A&C and other Spanish houses
KM#64 is called "2/4 tlaco = real" by A&C. I can also find an old listing by STack's calling it "2/4 tlaco = 1/4 real"

Lastly, Numista lists them more-or-less like this:
KM#59 1/8 vellon/pilon = 1/16 real
KM#63 1/4 vellon/pilon = tlaca = 1/8 real
KM#64 2/4 vellon/pilon = senal = 1/4 real

What is the correct way to look at these?
(edited later to fix links)
Edited by tdziemia
05/20/2022 1:54 pm
Valued Member
Spain
108 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Veton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not expert but tlaco was used along 18th century to supply the lack of copper money, this word comes fron nauhatl language and means "half" (worth half 1/4 real= 1/8 real). These coins were manufactured by merchants, stores and "haciendas" not by authorities.

During last years of spanish viceroyalty of Nueva España these tlacos were retired and the authorities struck señal= 1/2 or 2/4 R; tlaco= 1/4 R and pilon=1/8 R (dated in 1814, 1815, 1816 and 1821)

But you consider a better information
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5423 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the feedback.

This would align with the NGC/Krause titles having a kind of translation problem. For example, KM#59 "1/8 Pilon" should read "Pilon = 1/8."

And each of these would be double the values currently listed in Numista.
Valued Member
Spain
108 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Veton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe the two values are right. Viceroy Felix María Calleja established these coins in an 1814 Bando (act) , and in the same law he devalued to a half these coins.
So the initial value was: señal 1/2 real; tlaco, 1/4 real and pilón 1/8.
Devaluated to: 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16

Edited by Veton
05/22/2022 3:05 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 272Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: