Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pertinax Denairus Ad 193

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 305Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
773 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  12:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got this at auction and it arrived today.

Pertinax

Pertinax (A.D. 193)
AR Denarius, A.D. 193, Rome. 17.0 mm, 3.36g, 0, RIC IV.I 4a

Obv: IMP CAES P HELV-PERTIN AVG. Laureate head right.
Rev: LAETITIA TEM-P-OR COS I. Laetitia standing facing, head left, wreath downward in right hand, grounded scepter in left.

My Roman Imperial collection will span Julius Caesar to Marcian and as of now I am only missing Didius Julianus, Gordian I, Gordian II, Constantius III and Valentinian III.

I'm not sure I will ever have a Constantius III.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45107 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  04:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3934 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome denarius! That ruler isn't on my wish list but only because he's so rare.

Quote:
and Valentinian III
...everyone keeps saying Valentinian III coins are supposed to be really rare and I never quite understood why. Is that true? Are Valentinian III coins actually rare? Because if they are then I never noticed.

Think I have like half a dozen coins of the guy, and that's without actually looking out for them deliberately (because I mentally filed him as "common" way back after getting the first two or three).

I know that there are some types that are rare for him and are usually issued for other emperors, and some types he did that are just plain rare, but overall I really don't feel like his coins are rare. Maybe I just, again, stopped looking after the first three and never realized how rare they were.

Constantius III is approximately impossible yes. Are you saying you do have a Priscus Attalus? AFAIK it's only slightly less impossible.

Some day I'll do a revision of my collection to figure out which common emperors I'm missing. I know I have large gaps in the 1st century (too much demand...) and never bothered much with the later 3rd and early 4th. I think I have most of the Antonines and Severans covered except the really brief reigns.
Pillar of the Community
United States
773 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey January, not after Attalus as he was a Usurper. As far as Valentinian III, no not alk that rare. I just haven't picked one up yet. Waiting for a reasonable Solidus of him. With that ruler it seems you can either pay 1 to 2 hundred for a very poor bronze or 1k for a nice solidus.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3934 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
With that ruler it seems you can either pay 1 to 2 hundred for a very poor bronze or 1k for a nice solidus.
AFAIK that's not too far off for Zeno and Marcian (and some of the other 5th century emperors are similar), but the only Valentinian III bronze I've ever paid anywhere near a hundred USD for was his Cherson AE2 (underpriced here because of the relative flood of metal detecting material from the Cherson area post-2014). All the half-dozen others were between $1 and $10. But maybe they were worse than what you'd consider "very poor".

It might also just be that I'm commonly looking through LRB bargain bins for 5th century types, and you're not doing that because that's not the focus of your collection (and/or because that's just not a thing in USA).
I'd love to get a 5th century solidus! But probably not soon (economy is a mess at the moment).
Pillar of the Community
United States
773 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
January, yeah I hear you. Prices have gone way up over the last 6 years or so. I only own 1 Solidus. Theodosius II.

http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...osius_II.jpg
Learn More...
United States
113444 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 305Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: