Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Conditional Rarity Or Not? [world Coins From A Small Country]

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 277Next Topic  

Greece
3 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  4:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add geolaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering what is the best decision between bying a set of three MS69 top grade or top pop circulation coins from the eighties or one coin that is quite old (150-200 years old) but in intermediate condition and at the momment other coins is the same condition or better exist. The amound in both cases is 300 euros and the coins are from Greece.
Please, justify any answer.

Thank you in advance!
Learn More...
United States
23633 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@geo, We all collect what we like and so I would ask you to look inside and ponder what you like about coins. Is it the history associated with holding a coin from the nascent Kingdom of Greece more interesting to you than several newly minted coins that are among the finest slabbed so far? I believe that this is a personal decision and can change over time as yours interests in adjacent areas of numismatics wax and wane.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
Australia
14339 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, if I had to choose between using a fixed amount of money to buy either three modern coins from the same country or one 1800s coin from that same country, I'd buy the single old coin, every time.

But then, I've never particularly obsessed about paying high prices for super-top-grade coins. I'd rather pay less money to own a coin that people actually used as money, and that I can actually handle without worrying that I'm erasing hundreds of dollars off the value.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19675 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  02:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My numismatic philosophy is exactly the same as Sap's
Coins were originally invented to be used as money
On that basis, I prefer to have a numismatic item that once fulfilled that function

Although I admit to having a few modern NCLT collector coins, they somewhat qualify as being exonummia

Therefore, I would go for the 200 year old coin, but that is just me.
Condition is still very strong factor affecting value, even with the 200 year old coin.

'Uncirculated' is never a condition that applies to coins that are centuries old. The equivalent is "as struck".
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As for myself, an avid world coin collector, I'd go for the older coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 277Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: