Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Boeotia Thebes AR Stater C363-338 BC Boetian Shield/Amphora R: Timo (Magistrate)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 235Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
9032 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  11:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Your thoughts appreciated on the latest acquisition. Maybe I should have waited for a better centered one, but the coin caught my eye and I really liked it. Thanks!

BOEOTIA, Thebes. Circa 363-338 BC..
Obv: Boeotian shield
Rev: Amphora; TI-MO named magistrate across field
Spec: 12.16 g, 20-21 mm, silver
Ref: BCD Boiotia 556; HGC 4, 1334: SNG Copenhagen 351

Thebes was the largest city of the ancient region of Boeotia and was the leader of the Boeotian confederacy. It was a major rival of ancient Athens, and sided with the Persians during the 480 BC invasion under Xerxes. Theban forces under the command of Epaminondas ended the power of Sparta at the Battle of Leuctra in 371 BC. The Sacred Band of Thebes (an elite military unit) famously fell at the Battle of Chaeronea in 338 BC against Philip II and Alexander the Great. Prior to its destruction by Alexander in 335 BC, Thebes was a major force in Greek history, and was the most dominant city-state at the time of the Macedonian conquest of Greece. During the Byzantine period, the city was famous for its silks.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Highlights of my coin collection: https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=31920
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Edited by numismatic student
05/27/2022 11:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6307 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive coin with a great rendition of the amphora.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9032 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob L. Being new at this really appreciate hearing your thoughts.

There was one other candidate that I was considering. I really liked that it was so well-centered on both sides, but I was wondering if the round protrusion in the crevice to the right of the shield was damage. The coin was described as plated and apparently the coin was a specimen displayed in a traveling exhibition called "The true and the false" which I don't know anything about.

Ultimately I opted for the coin in the earlier post. Let me know if I made a huge mistake in my choice.

Boeotia,THEBES - Fourrée SILVER STATER (plated),
Issue: 378-338 BC
Obv: Boeotian shield
Rev: Amphora
Mint: Thebes
Ref: B.M.C., 183;
Metal: AR / SILVER
Weight: gr. 12,12, (MG89009)
Diam.: mm. 21,82
Grade: good VF (45/70)
PROVENANCE: Ex Numismatica Ars Classica.
Desc: Coin in exceptional grade taking in consideration that is a plated specimen. The coin is one of the specimens displayed in the traveling exhibition "The true and the false."
Highlights of my coin collection: https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=31920
05/27/2022 11:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6307 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can see the base metal core through that spot you mention. I think you made a good choice. The amphora on yours is more impressive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9032 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Suppose that since it said "Fourrée" in the description of the coin I opted out of, they are telling me it is a base metal copy of the famous coin. Maybe I should pay more attention reading. Was too engrossed in examining the images to pay attention to what they were telling me. I thought it might be a plated example of a genuine coin, but I guess it's too in your face to just call it counterfeit or fake, although it might be more helpful. Guess the perfect centering of the strike on both sides of the coin was too good to be true.

Thanks for the continued help.
05/28/2022 12:20 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6307 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a copy, but still ancient and very collectible. However, you made the right choice, IMO.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9032 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are there a lot of ancient contemporary copies/fakes? Do they authenticate the ancient contemporary aspect by dating the metal through radioisotopic or other similar methods?

Even if you could date the metal, wouldn't a savvy, entrepreneurial counterfeiter strike a rare design using transfer dies onto a known genuine Greek stater that is more common? Not that this applies to this situation as the Thebes stater is fairly common, but other, rarer issues can fetch astronomical prices making it more worthwhile.

Sorry for the barrage of questions.
05/28/2022 12:36 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19675 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am envious.
I have bee looking for a nice example of this general type for many years.
Learn More...
United States
23633 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  02:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are there a lot of ancient contemporary copies/fakes?

Yes. Just as with US coins, you need to know your seller and, ideally, some of the provenance. There are several sticky threads here listing some unsavory sellers and some good ones.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
768 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a beautiful coin. Congrats.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 235Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: