Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 Or 1922 Lincoln Cent Oddity

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 808Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  8:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SunnyNinaD to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know it's diseased ignore the ROT! I don't know why I even looked close at it but please look at the date on both pic's. Why does it show 1982 on one pic but 1922 at another angle? I HIGHLIGHTED BLUE BUNNY because this was odd and made coin identifiable.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17765 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would help tremendously if we can see the reverse .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10390 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70313 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The markers are the same, so I can't see how these two images could be so different.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2040 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why does it show 1982 on one pic but 1922 at another angle?

You answered your own question. Taking pictures at different angles with different light direction get different results. Kind of neat looking but no mystery. Spend it
Edited by jasper62
06/20/2022 9:37 pm
Learn More...
United States
24221 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sun, that is a zinc blister in the date which is vaguely changing the shape of the number. The rest is Pareidolia.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence said it best... a zinc blister, the rest is all in your head. We ask that you ALWAYS show us both sides of your coin, and you didn't because you knew what the reverse would show us. Besides, a '22 wouldn't have zinc blisters.
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SunnyNinaD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry my bad, forgot the back.

Not going to spend it's a cool penny! Others
do see what I see so it's NOT JUST in MY head! Lol
Edited by SunnyNinaD
06/21/2022 02:11 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't hold on to it too long, as zinc rot is eating away at the zinc core. Soon it won't be a neat novelty coin any longer, it will only be a pile of dust!

You do know the Memorial reverse was first used in 1959, right? Showing us the reverse dated the coin in that it couldn't be on a 1922 cent, so that alone would have answered your original question.
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  02:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SunnyNinaD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I'm know it's not 1922, I am not stupid! It really stinks coming on here when others treat you like an idiot. Hello, I just was wonder what would make my coin do magic besides the rabbit in my head and on my coin! LoL

I have put it in protective case to keep it's magic alive BTW!
Edited by SunnyNinaD
06/21/2022 02:41 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  02:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a set amount of things that can cause an error during the minting process, there is infinite ways a coin can be damaged/altered. Once zinc rot settles in it can do even more. May never know what caused it but it's just damage. I don't think anyone meant to make you feel like an idiot, several people have confined what's going on with the coin.

Besides it's better to be wrong and learn something in this hobby, otherwise you can't ever grow or learn. I have kept some of the damaged coins I posted on here when I first started and knew nothing about errors but I only kept them as a reminder of my growth up untill now knowing full well they are just face value damaged coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  03:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have put it in protective case to keep it's magic alive BTW!

There is no stopping zinc rot, "protective case" or not. The countdown on the life of this coin has begun. Cleaning, soaking or air tight case doesn't matter, the end is in sight.
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58824 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a spender. It will eventually disappear in time.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1529 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not going to lie, I can't explain why the small first picture shows a flat field on the top of the 8. And also, the last picture.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70313 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Totally weird pics. Cannot be.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2125 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent work , though you should have changed these details when you painted.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 808Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: