Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 P Canadian Dime

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 2,101Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4999 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen mintage of 200 to 300 but really no one knows for sure but one of the rumor is one large dealer has a few rolls from a vending outfit and they are slowly feeding the market, but depending on the grade probably goes for 1000 to 2000 bucks. Almost sure if you contact RCM they will tell you nothing
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71521 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only 300 minted? Web seems to basically confirm.
Edited by Coinfrog
06/25/2022 7:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4999 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mintage of these are misleading there are many large vending company"s across Canada and if everyone was sent a roll one would guess 20 or 50 company but how was returned to the RCM. For some reasoning the RCM produced 2000P 25 cents like 2 Caribou, 4 or 5 Community type and of course the 50 cent clock version, these sell for 10,000 or lots more for the Caibou 25 cents
Learn More...
Canada
10223 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I should go buy a lottery ticket.

Ha! Hoping that lightning strikes twice?

Great catch from the wild! Congrats!
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tootired to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John100, I don't think the available 2000p's were test coins that were not returned. I was collecting in 1999 when the plated coins were first sent out for testing. So many of the 1999 p coins were not returned (because people recognized their value) that the mint decided to produce a large number of these sets after the fact to saturate the market. They produced like 10k sets and sold them for 99.99. I was one of the collectors that was burnt by this as I had picked up a set a few months earlier for a few hundred dollars.
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tootired to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was nothing like that with the 2000 plated coins. None of these surfaced and only the dime was rumored to exist. A few months later I attended a Walsh auction where a 2000p dime quarter and half (in a clock) were being sold. If I hadn't been recently burned I prob would have picked up all 3. I passed on the dime figuring there was prob a lot of them given I was aware of the rumors they existed. I passed on the half because I didn't expect the mint would produce a rare a coin to give to employees. I figured they would eventually produce gazllions of clocks to be sold in every tourist store. I did pick up the quarter as I thought it was the safest bet.
In any case I think these were produced for internal use and not distributed to vendors.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4999 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dealer had most of them slab by PCGS and CCCS and sold a roll to an auction house, he said they came from a vending company who just forfeited the RCM deposit. The 50 cent clock coin seems plausible to reward your employees with something unique but I do not think the RCM ever would guess they are worth about 10K today. The 2000P quarters were probably either a RCM test or more likely a RCM vp wanting a custom created 25 cents versions. For many years before and till today the RCM sends test tokens to the vending companies for obvious reasons but you do not strike them as like the issued coin, by the way which type of the quarter did you get ?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4999 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do believe of the group of 2000P coins that are rare,only the dime was a test piece due to the large numbers but the 25 cents are not test pieces in my opinion but the caribou version is really rare
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3324 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Dearborn, this is a rare mule coin in Canada. The 2000p dime and quarter are very rare(the quarter is more scarce). The fact that this was found in circulation is just amazing. Congrats!! I would 100% send in for grading.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
995 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing find congrats.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8876 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A truly amazing find!

Quote:
this is a rare mule coin in Canada.
They are mules only if they are struck on nickel planchets, if struck on steel planchets they are test coins.
Charlton's lists them as test coins struck on steel planchets.
The OP would need to XRF test the coin if they suspect it's a mule on a nickel planchet.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
09/02/2022 3:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2297 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wrekkdd

The 2000P Dime is not a Mule coin.
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tootired to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The dealer had most of them slab by PCGS and CCCS and sold a roll to an auction house, he said they came from a vending company who just forfeited the RCM deposit.

That was rampant for the 1999 plated coins until the mint released them as collector coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4999 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The RCM sure did on the 1999 coins to solve a problem, but this did not happen with the 2000 P type coins, or there would be thousands or millions in the wild
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2022  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tootired to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The RCM sure did on the 1999 coins to solve a problem, but this did not happen with the 2000 P type coins, or there would be thousands or millions in the wild

Right, that's why I find it hard to believe the RCM sent rolls of the 2000p dimes to vending companies for testing.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 2,101Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: