Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1908 IHC Possible Error

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 898Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2532 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  10:57 am Show Profile   Check robbudo's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This isn't my coin. I'm not even thinking about buying it. But I am curious about it. Owner says they found it buried in the ground. Error? PMD?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2826 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  11:05 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD IMO
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45768 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2253 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know what to make of it. 1908 is doubled and shifted left, as is the lower bust and the last A in America. It appears to be thicker in that area like a piece of another coin is fused to it, and it overlaps at both edges. But then how is only that area double-struck? If it's a vice job I can't figure how it was done.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70290 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
False error, I'm thinking.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8036 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps Mike Diamond can weigh in. I have no idea how that could've been made.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10390 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70290 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2056 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it is a vise job, because the lettering isn't mirrored. Probably a false error and an experiment. Not in bad shape if it was found underground!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2532 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  10:51 am  Show Profile   Check robbudo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I'm not surprised, but it's got the opening bid of $100 on Ebay. I wonder if the winner is going to post it on here after they get it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10390 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10390 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10390 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found it - and you are right, the numbers are not reversed just rotated but it is flat and blank on the reverse.- I just can't see how this happened..
Edited by Dearborn
07/04/2022 12:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2253 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whether in the mint or in a garage, I can't figure it out either. One scenario (I have no idea if this is plausible) - a clipped planchet with the clip still attached gets struck, the upper part separates and gets ejected but the lower part is stuck to the die, another planchet gets struck and the lower clip gets fused to the coin. But struck again offset a little? And how does the reverse in that area end up blank? I struggle to figure out how the upper part gets struck only once, as if something is blocking one of the strikes. That's the best I could come up with. Somebody whacking it in a garage, I can't explain at all.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70290 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better withdraw my hasty reaction.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 898Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: