Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Noodling A Complete Set Of UK Coins From Circulation

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,847Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10679 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  11:54 am Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been reading with interest the reports from our Australian friends who are trying to 'noodle' a complete set of coins from circulation.

I started searching through British 20p, 50p and 2 coins in June 2017. In September 2018 I 'added' 2p and 10p coins and from January 2021, 1p, 5p and 1 coins.

Results so far...

1p. Issued since 1971. NIFC dates: 1972, 2018, 2019, 2021?
I've now sorted through 437 coins and the only date issued for circulation that has yet to show is 1981. I've only found single coins from 1973, 1975, 1978, 1984, 1985 and 1990. The most common date is 2017 with 29 coins. I've had eight miscellaneous coins including a George VI farthing, a 5 eurocents, a Canadian cent and some Jersey and Guernsey pennies.

2p. Issued since 1971. NIFC dates: 1972, 1973, 1974, 1982, 1983, 1984, 2018, 2019, 2020.
I've now sorted through 1,366 coins and have found at least one of each date issued for circulation. The scarcest ones are: 2008 with plumes on the reverse (1), 2021 (2), 2017 (3) and 1976 (5). I've had one Jersey coin and two from the Isle of Man.

5p. Issued since 1990 (earlier coins were larger and have been demonetised). NIFC dates are 1993 and (so far) 2021.
I've sorted through 490 coins and found at least one of each date. The scarcest so far is 1994 of which I've only had one. The only 'foreign' one is a single Jersey 5p.

10p. Issued since 1992 (earlier ones were larger and have been demonetised). NIFC dates are 1993, 1994, 1998 and 1999. I've sorted through 3,147 coins. I've only had one coin each dated 2018 and 2019 so I am effectively still looking for 50 coins, as there are 26 different 'letter' coins for each of these years. Other scarce ones are 2008 lion reverse (3), 2020 (3) and 2021 (3). I've had no fewer than 9 foreign coins masquerading as 10p's, including US and Canadian quarters and a New Zealand 50c.

20p. Issued since 1982. NIFC dates are 1986, 2017, 2018 and (so far) 2021.
I've sorted through 2,105 coins. I have yet to find the 1992 small head variety, 2008 mule (no date) or 2020. Scarcest coins are 2008 rose reverse (5) and 1991 (9). I've had nine miscellaneous 20p's from Gibraltar and the Channel Islands.

50p. Issued since 1997 (earlier coins were larger and have been demonetised). Some dates issued for circulation as commemoratives only..
I've sorted through 14,800 coins. Not yet found a 2009 Kew Gardens, 2012 Olympics Football, Rowing or Tennis or anything post-2020: the scarcest ones I've found have been 2017 Newton (1) and 2018 Peter Rabbit (1). I've had 20 'foreign' coins, mostly Guernsey, Jersey and Isle of Man.

1. Issued since 2016 (earlier ones have been demonetised)
I've sorted through 333 coins and found plenty of all dates from 2016 through 2019 but no 2020, 2021 or 2022 yet.

2. Issued since 1997. None issued for circulation since 2017.
I have sorted through 2,264 coins. I have yet to find any 2002 Commonwealth Games, 2012 Olympic Handover or 2013 London Transport logo. The 2011 King James Bible and Mary Rose are the scarcest I've found, with one coin each. I've had no foreign coins but three forgeries!
Edited by NumisRob
06/30/2022 11:57 am
Learn More...
United States
114756 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10679 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very interesting!

Thanks jbuck!

I've done a summary grid:
Edited by NumisRob
06/30/2022 2:42 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
90 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excuse my ignorance, but what is noodling?
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4088 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Searching through piles of coins taken out of circulation. Say you buy 100 worth of 10p coins and then you search through them for the best of every date and in the case of 10ps for the Alphabet coins etc.

The goal of the game of noodling, is to find at least 1 example of every date and variety known to be in circulation.

There are bonus points for finding NCLT only coins (Coins issued only in sets or as one off commemoratives not meant for circulation) and error coins.

Noodling invariably also bring foreign coins, forgeries, coins of the wrong denomination and even mountains of common dates and types.

The term comes from Australian members searching through their change.

PS great thread Numisrob, I have my own mini collection of British change too and have most of the 5p, 10p and 20p dates.

I love COINS!!!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
90 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, I see, thank you.

For some reason, I thought it was what those in the deep south USA did when tryimg to tickle and catch a catfish

I'm sure I haven't made that up
Learn More...
United States
114756 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've done a summary grid:
Impressive! Interesting that the 10p seems to be the most elusive.

Quote:
For some reason, I thought it was what those in the deep south USA did when tryimg to tickle and catch a catfish. I'm sure I haven't made that up
You have not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noodling

Valued Member
United Kingdom
90 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sanity restored

Thanks jbuck
Learn More...
United States
114756 Posts
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck with your endeavor.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10679 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Interesting that the 10p seems to be the most elusive.

That's because in 2018 and 2019 26 different designs of 10p coin were issued, with letters of the alphabet from A to Z. This is 'T' for Tea:

Fewer than 100,000 of each design were issued for circulation for each date, so they are very hard to find. Many probably never made it into circulation as they were exchanged by bank clerks who later put them on eBay... so the rumour goes!
Learn More...
Australia
14502 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Noodling" is Australian slang for "searching through change for rare dates". The term seems to have been popularized on a now-defunct Australian coin forum, and spread from there. It seems to have arisen in opposition to the phrase "coin roll hunting", which serves a similar purpose in North America; since "coin rolls" are nowhere near as prevalent in Australian banking system, "coin roll hunting" didn't seem to apply.

I'm not entirely sure of the origin of the term. It does not seem to be connected with the American fishing reference, though I doubt it as Australians are generally very leery of adopting American slang as their own. Nor does it seem to refer to the Australian slang term "noodle", meaning brain. (as in, "use your noodle" as a slang term for "Think about it"). I suspect it might be a reference to the similarity between the behaviour of "coin noodlers" and the behaviour of someone eating a bowl of noodles, "fishing out" the meat and noodles from underneath the broth. The term also seems to have an origin with mining; it is still used in Australia today to describe when people go through the tailings of old opal mines, looking for gems amidst the trash. It may even have originated on the 19th century goldfields, as a derogatory term for the activities of Chinese miners (who were widely known for making fortunes by similarly going through the tailings of the European miners, finding gold nuggets that had been missed).

Coin collectors of Britain: feel free to invent and adopt your own slang terminology for this behaviour.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70210 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good research, thanks. Somehow "noodling" seems like a good word whatever its origin.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4088 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Us Kiwis have decided we want the term "noodling" along with "coin hunt" and my own Maori term "He mahi moni" - meaning the great work on coins.

Finding those 2018 and 2019 10ps will be much harder than the Australian Alphabet dollars that Machinmachinman has gone after.

Words to the minters of coins, please don't issue sets to encourage coin collecting, that are so limited in issue, they are impossible to find. Children don't want to start a hobby which is basically impossible unless you have heaps of money (Unlikely for little children) and time (More likely spent at school and playing).

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
564 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  01:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck NumisRob, from one noodler to another. There's always a couple of pesky coins that refuse to show up, so may the Noodling Gods be on your side.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
230 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Princetane Very well put. I have been really disappointed by the recent practices of The Royal Mint, especially in regard to the alphabet 10p coins. I started collecting at a very young age and it was still very much a feasible hobby back then - I was able to put together a complete set of circulating coins using just my pocket money. Sure, some were very hard to find and I had to nag people to look out for me, but I was able to get them all (including the Kew Gardens 50p). Nowadays, you simply cannot do that - there's no way you could hope to put together anywhere near a complete set without either having an enormous amount of money to buy them with, or by working in a bank (though even that probably wouldn't help for the alphabet 10ps as so many were hoovered up immediately).

I do not think that I would have started coin collecting if I'd been born a decade later.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,847Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: