Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello Everyone! Pete Here.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 346Next Topic  

United States
0 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  10:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mydadsoldcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm Pete, I live in the Cleveland OH area, in my 50's.

My late father left me his coin collection. He started in the 40s, continuing into the 60s and still occasionally 'picked' at it the rest of his life (there are some 90s domestic blue books and 2000's proof sets). But there are a lot of old largely filled blue books, a long white box with coins in the little square cardboard window protectors, and a bunch of clear tubes filed pennies.

He also has a ton of foreign, mostly European coins from his extensive travels and long term overseas stays in the 50s and 60s in those same cardboard square holders, 4-5 long boxes full as well as a bunch of clear 3 ring binder holders full. Some of these also date back into the 1800's.

Unfortunately I just don't have the time to grade and sell these individually. I'm hoping for a recommendation on a reputable Cleveland area dealer for an offer on the domestics. On the foreign coins, am I right in assuming I may need someone who specializes in them? I'd be willing to ship them to a well regarded dealer for an offer if needed.

And yes, I'm keeping a handful of them to remind me of the fond times when me and my sister were little, and he'd bring them out and go through them with us :)

Pete
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45888 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17786 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , Pete If you don't need the money try to reframe from selling your fathers collection to dealers . You will most likely be offered pennies on the dollar . If you do need the $$$ then you might want to start selling the coins on E-bay as many of us do . If you need help with how to go about doing E-bay just ask ; many of the members here will help you with the ins and outs of selling coins .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
20863 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
5080 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
115001 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1746 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  09:39 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pete,

to CCF & sorry to hear about your dad's passing. Nice to know you're going to keep something.

@T-BOP suggests the most economical avenue (using eBay) but the task may prove daunting. If you're not up to it, then I would check other sources.

Numista is another coin collector forum/site which has an "Outings" section that identifies shops/shows, etc in your area. I did a search for Ohio and the results are on the following link:
https://en.numista.com/outings/inde...e=on&p=1&v=1

I have dealt with Allen's (online only) & can say that they were very reliable (all positive) but they're north of Columbus. It appears as if Carat Coin (North Olmstead) is closer but I would also check the Cleveland directory for a coin shop which may be closer. Remember, you don't have to take any offer so try to be patient when negotiating prices offered. Check out the Numista Coin catalogue to get a better idea of what your father collected.

Carat Coin can be reached online:
https://caratcoin.com/

Good luck!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3127 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry for the loss of your father.

A lot of members here will have numismatic envy for your dad's collection. LOL
The stuff of dreams for most of us.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
United States
0 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2022  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mydadsoldcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the advice and warm welcome!

I WISH I had the time to go through these properly, I know it's the correct thing to do.

Walk2 I go to Columbus fairly regularly and will definitely check out Allens.

Petespocket thank you for the condolences and I believe you about the 'envy' :) I've been active over the years in a couple seriously excellent forums (stereo / LP and car forums) where I've met good people and made friends. If there's anyone here that has any interest please contact me. -(Note: I'm not a spammer! And this wasn't my intent, please edit this out or move it if needed and/or contact me for more ID info. My dad would have preferred them to go to someone who appreciated them).

Thanks again everyone

Pete
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 346Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: