Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Matter Of Opinion Or Perspective

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,023Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
629 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  3:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Topics change and evolve.

If it is to pile related stuff on never ending threads, why not have just one thread per denomination?

Why lock a thread when a conversation goes to another angle? What is the problem? Sunday is too boring?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70349 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please expand on your ideas.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8962 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps we could use a deeper dive into the structure and desired functionality of this forum. Suggest posting your thoughts here (Coin Community Support, Suggestions, and Feedback):
http://goccf.com/f/20
Pillar of the Community
Canada
629 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Explaining: A thread I was participating was locked because "a similar thread already exists"

That's the nature of numismatics (and collections is in general): nothing new, everything is rehashed. Why lock? Have you ever checked how many threads discuss the 1859 large cent alone? (sorry Bill).

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2658 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  12:48 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see the point in locking unless a conversation is getting out of hand.
Topics that have run their course find their way to the bottom of the page and eventually out of sight all on their own.
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4406 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with ty about closing threads because there is another one that answers some of it or touches on some of it. I won't ever go in and read threads that are more than 30-40 posts because I don't want to have to wade through all the stuff that doesn't answer a question. Similar to some of the threads on the PCGS site that are in the 1000's posts under a single title. I won't touch those that go on and on and on with little in common with the op. The fake toonies have been all answered or commented on because there are more than 4 different types and I'm not going to venture back into months and months or years to find an answer that I'm comfortable with or that I'm even interested in.
Edited by okiecoiner
07/04/2022 7:29 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70349 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If not mistaken, a locked thread because of duplication usually gives a link to the main thread - yes?
Learn More...
United States
114863 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That new topic was locked because its content (with a link to an article) was also being actively discussed in a previously existing topic (where the same link was posted).

The new topic was later unlocked when it was decided the topic would likely go in a different direction. The duplicated content was removed from the previously existing topic to avoid more confusion and more duplication.

Mistakes happen. No need to have an existential crisis over it.
Learn More...
Canada
10213 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mistakes happen. No need to have an existential crisis over it.

Ha!! If you only knew t_y in person...

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2658 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The duplicated content was removed from the previously existing topic to avoid more confusion and more duplication.

I went back to reference some of that info, couldn't find it and was really confused.

Quote:
The new topic was later unlocked when it was decided the topic would likely go in a different direction

How can it be decided that a topic would likely go in a different direction if it's locked and unable to evolve on it's own?

Locking, unlocking, removing content... seems like a lot of work for something that will take care of itself.

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No one is perfect, I imagine some threads get locked and if fused because they are in direct connection to another thread that has been forgotten. If someone asks a questions n that goes "un clarified" then to fuse similar or the same topic makes sense.

There are many forgotten topics and threads that I have read through that get Brough up every now and then on a new post.

It's better to link old and new information in one.thread.then start a new one.

Is there a thread for non finished discussions? Non answered questions? The answer is yes and no.

The mods do an amazing job from what I've seen and it's better to go with the flow then against it+_+.

I think it's about time there is(unless there already is)... A moderator appreciation thread.

Jbuck! The spirit cheerleader:)

Bobby, the little smack we all needed

Coop and SPP for just spending so much time on helping with errors and learning.

And all the rest of the mods, and the coins and stuff I don't know about keep teaching me(along with all you non Canadian members)....which is probably 80% of the forum:p

Sorry I get sentimental and chatty when under slept lol.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,023Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: