Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Oversized 1913 V Nickel.early Commemorative? Copy?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 507Next Topic  

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  3:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tipton444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me more about this coin. It's an oversized, 38mm wide, 1913 V nickel, and obviously it's not a real 1913 V nickel, but I can't seem to find any like this one (although I'm a relatively novice collector)... All the 1913 V nickels I found were commemorative with the word "COPY" clearly on it, or they were made of 999 silver and marked as such. I can't seem to find another one that is this large, 38mm (or 37.95mm to be exact), and looks old like this one. A person passed and the family had me go through some of his old coins, and there was quite a few early silver dollars and this random V nickel...

I'm guessing this is absolutely worthless and just another commemorative without the word copy, or just a bad fake, but I just wanted to make sure they didn't make early commemoratives say prior to 1950 or something like that. I placed a real V nickel next to it for a size comparison. Any help would be appreciated, and I apologize if this is a complete waste of time!

Eric

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17910 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a commemorative but a novelty piece probably made with junk metal .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Goldeggsandham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to have an oversized Indian head and it was a novelty. The biggest dead giveaway was it had a medallion alignment rather than a coin alignment.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tipton444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool, thank you both! Since I'm a novice, I had to do a quick google search on what you meant with it having a medallion alignment, and it does of course, so I'm happy to have learned something. Thanks again.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71542 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, a novelty item.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tourist souvenirs or novelty gift shop items.
I have several different.
You can also find a set of very tiny coins packaged as "My Inheritance" or "My Tax Return".
Some jokesters show a picture of the tiny coins claiming "Look what happened when I put these coins in the oven".
Learn More...
Australia
14637 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Often, the "oversized coins" you find around the place were made and sold as novelty drink coasters. But this one's a bit too small to use as a coaster.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1278 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reminded me of this oversized Canadian 5c I found in bulk coin buy.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/ex...ia32989.html
Interesting bit of history. Ironic that the "Big Nickels" used in fund raising to highlight Sudbury's nickel mines were made of aluminium.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Goldeggsandham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to mention that real 1913 V nickels are the key dates of all key dates. Only 5 are known to exist and those have sold for over 3 million!
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tipton444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea wouldn't that be nice! Maybe I'll start a novelty collection one day... lol. Thanks to everyone for all the help!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1278 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I forgot to mention that real 1913 V nickels are the key dates of all key dates. Only 5 are known to exist and those have sold for over 3 million!

WOW. Interesting background and provenance of all 5 coins. According to Wiki, the Eliasberg specimen with proof surfaces sold for US 5 million in 2007!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 507Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: