Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Experimental Cased Nickel Dollars 1968

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 783Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2316 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  5:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These cases are different than I have seen in the past. There is a hinge close to
the front of the inside that the plastic holder pivots on. Two plastic discs
accompany the case to cover the dollar front and back. They are problems to put
in. See these before @Commems or @SPP?

RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Edited by SilverDon
07/05/2022 5:16 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16320 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never seen that one before Don. Certainly different from the normal black clamshell case.
Seeing it was the first year of the nickel dollar, wonder if it was made for some dignitaries or similar group.
I'm sure that either Commems or SSP will be able to shed some light on it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4353 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are actually quite common and most often
Contain just a Regular business strike Dollar .
If I recall correctly , these were available if you
visited the Ottawa mint in 1968 . I know that Benny Lee and
other VANCOUVER Coin Dealers sold these for a $1.50
back in the day .
The obvious prototype for the later 1971 on Cased
Nickel and Silver Dollars .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8262 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
See these before @Commems or @SPP?

Yes, it's not technically an "experimental" case. It's a 60th (1908-1968) Anniversary case that was sold by the Royal Canadian Mint for $1.25 back in 1968 to house one of the new nickel dollar coins; they could be ordered via the mail.

They were sold during the nickel dollar's first year of issue. though sales may have carried over into 1969 based on inventory.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2316 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  01:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I was only 5 in 1968 so depend on our more
senior members. Sorry @Commems for the misspelling. The invoice
said experimental cases. I had never seen the hinge at the bottom or
the Mint Logo plus a Canada Coat of Arms. The 1908-1968 60th
Anniversary of the Mint is great info. Coins appear PL, some with
cameos.
RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8262 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Coins appear PL, some with cameos.

To my knowledge, the cases were sold separately by the Mint (i.e., without a coin inserted). Many dealers added coins to them and sold them as a package.

Quote:
I was only 5 in 1968 so depend on our more senior members.

How old do you think I am?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
Canada
10223 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  11:12 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pacificoin is right. Not overly common, but by no means scarce. Most I have seen contained either a business strike or a proof-like dollar.

Some rare specimen strike dollars were issued in these same cases to RCM VIPs, but it is unlikely that any would be found in the wild.

I have gotten some cool nicely toned coins from these cases. Nickel does not tone easily.
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/43890832

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2316 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Commems You impart the wisdom of Solomon without having
lived the hard life of Methuselah.

@SPP lovely toned example. Rarity indeed.

@Pacificoin thanks for the info, original costs are neat to hear, the
plastic discs are a pain but love the gold logos.

@JimmyD agree, when I saw them I had to grab them.

The coins, examples of each year. Nice Cameo but some
dings and die burn. Look like PL to me. Patent Pending on the
Display Cases.

RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Edited by SilverDon
07/06/2022 11:33 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 783Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: