Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Skeletonwizard8's 100th Post Giveaway/Contest! 4 Awesome Prizes! Ends: 7/30/22 8:00pm Mountain Time

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 3,632Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2022  9:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Skeletonwizard8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello members of CCF! I know it's only my 100th post, but the invaluable information I have gotten from you lot the past year I have been a member have been invaluable. As a thank you, I'd like to give back to the community with a contest.
***RULES: to enter the contest, you must have at least 50 posts. The post question is this: if your house was burning down and you could only choose one of your coins to save, which would you save and why? Photos of your coin are highly appreciated but not required.
Your post will be assigned a number, starting with 1 and going up. No limit to number of contestants, but one entry per person please. Alternative accounts will be disqualified. I will use a random # generator to get winners, first winner will get to chose their prize, then 2nd will choose one of the 3 remaining prizes, and so on. The contest will be open for 14 days, so it will close July 30 at 8PM MST. Any entries posted after this time will not be valid.

Now on to the prizes!

PRIZE 1: CLASSIC US COIN BUNDLE
Includes an example of a capped dime, a seated love token, 4 of my favorite 90% silver coin designs, and a lot of 5 cull Copper Nickel cents, one a flying eagle, as well as 2 dateless Shield nickels.

PRIZE 2: MODERN US COIN BUNDLE
This lot includes a proof 1964 dime, 40% silver bicentennial half, Franklin half dollar, a rare PCGS sample slab, a smattering of proof coins and more for the seasoned modern coin collector.

PRIZE 3: NIFC US COIN BUNDLE
This lot includes a 2019 Proof set(no w penny), 1973 Proof set, graded SBA Dollar, and more! Great for the NIFC collector.

PRIZE 4: WORLD COIN BUNDLE
This lot has a great variety, including a German 100 mark note, 5 medieval tin pitis of Palembang, some attributed Asian cash coins, and a good amount of foreign "Junk" silver, as well as some cull copper coins that you can identify, and an ancient Roman coin!

*** DISCLAIMER: I will be leaving for Ireland for 5 weeks tomorrow, so due to this, I will not be able to ship the prizes until at least Aug. 21. I will announce winners before then, and ship them out right when I get back. This will give me time to acquire your address and get the winners chosen.

Thanks CCF!
Edited by Skeletonwizard8
07/16/2022 9:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5462 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2022  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to make sure 6/30 was 16 days ago. Do you mean 7/30?
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2022  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skeletonwizard8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to make sure 6/30 was 16 days ago. Do you mean 7/30?

Oops, my bad! Fixing it now
Pillar of the Community
United States
5462 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2022  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I'll be the first entry in your contest and sadly I would have to save 2 coins.

This is my current favorite coin. If I could only save one it would be this one.

Number 2 would be the 2019 S ERP (well I have 2, so I would have to save both)

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3324 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2022  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a really tough question for me. Have many coins worth 10-20$ but few worth more then melt other then some key date low grades...after long deliberation, since most of my collection is whole fillers, I would say the coin I would save is the loonie I first posted here that got me interested in the hobby.

Things have been on hold for me for a few months... The loonie is nothing special and I'll re post some pics but it's what got me interested at first and lead me here and to where I am now. It holds a special sentimental value even as a basic damaged dollar lol.

I would re start my collection from scratch if I had to but it's a reminder of why I do this.

Edit: iv posted the coin more then once in the past but I'll have to take new photos. I'll get them in the morning though.

Thanks for the give away
Edited by Wrekkdd
07/16/2022 10:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1273 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2022  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, and very thoughtful of you to do this giveaway! Thanks!

Oh, boy, that's a tough question you posed. I'd probably just throw myself into the flames and go with them all!

However, if I had to choose just one it would be the coin that was my retirement present to myself back in 2016. The company I worked for was going through a re-organization and my team had been shut down, so I volunteered to take early retirement after over 34 years of service. That was accepted and I left the company with a severance package. I put aside some of that to purchase what had been an ultimate dream coin of mine since I'd first seen a picture of one back in the 1960's. I've shared this before in this forum, but here it is again...
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Edited by hokiefan_82
07/17/2022 01:29 am
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2022  02:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skeletonwizard8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stunning coin you have there hokie, absolutely incredible! A holy grail for sure!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1273 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2022  02:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you!
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3772 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2022  02:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the contest and great prize packages!!

We actually had a coin in our house that we discussed just this scenario. For almost 20 years we had a raw Cheerios dollar and cent that was to be saved if it was safe to do so. It sold in 2019 for $4200 at Heritage.

For the first 10 years we didn't have any idea of the value. If fact for the first 5 years no one was aware of the different reverse die used on the Cheerios dollar coins.

I guess now I need to discuss this pair of coins with Amy.

I would save this 1992 Silver Eagle error. It has a large deep strike through on the obverse and some really dramatic toning on both sides. All of the toning you see has developed over the last 30 years inside the ANACS slab.

Click the picture for a larger image

I will also tell my wife to save this one. It's the raw matched pair sister of the one above.

Click the picture for a larger image

I don't have any idea of what the pair might be worth, but I have had several dealers offer to buy them if I ever wanted to sell.
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2022  02:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skeletonwizard8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yokozuna, those are some great coins, I have always been a big fan of dramatic struck through errors. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3772 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2022  02:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOVE the coins posted so far! Now I was a gold coin in my collection.

This is getting really interesting!!
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8460 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2022  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the fun contest Skeletonwizard8 - it certainly has allowed me a moment to reflect on what's really important in my collection.

For me it's the distinction between two different types of value; price value vs. sentimental value.

I have some individual coins that would be considered expensive - and although worthwhile to my heirs they were never the drivers of any particular collection passion but rather accumulated over time to satisfy a collecting curiosity.

My true collecting quest, which took over a decade to complete, was documented here at the CCF in my pursuit of a completed type set of honestly circulated classic silver commemoratives.

Those coins have tremendous sentimental value simply for the perseverance it took to complete the set. These coins were not a matter of having enough money to purchase them but rather having enough patience to continue seeking them out.

And as I look over all 50 of those coins - there is one that stands out as a particularly special example.

My 1936 Battle of Gettysburg half dollar proudly wears the nicks, marks and wear as witness to a long time in circulation of our nations commerce.

To me - the obverse portraits of the Union and Confederate soldiers bear the weight of the years while also proudly being survivors.

So here she is:

1936 Battle of Gettysburg Anniversary Half Dollar - PCGS VG10

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47386 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2022  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/...ie_state=mds
I would save it because I think it might be the rarest one I own.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2658 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2022  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin I would save is the one I thought I would never own, a 1909 S-VDB Lincoln Cent. It's a PCGS mid-grade example purchased with a small inheritance left when my mother passed. It completed the set, fulfilled a life long desire and has very strong sentimental value.

https://www.PCGS.com/cert/26256300
Valued Member
United States
447 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2022  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very generous contest! Thanks. This is a tough question indeed. It would have to be my 1871 Seated Liberty dollar with motto.

http://goccf.com/t/364972&whichpage=2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10281 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2022  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one since I could probably find a place to stay and eat for awhile til I regrouped by selling it.
I have too many favorites to root around for during a fire in the safe.

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 3,632Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: