Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883 - CC Morgan Dollar Grade, With Video

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 699Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1133 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  3:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bid on this and was successful, and of all the places in the world, it was in my hometown in England. So that saved on postage I guess. I won for $233, I just liked the look of it and wanted a CC. What do you make of the grade? I've uploaded a video too so please feel free to use that also.

Full size photo links at bottom.

Zd4Pb4i7pMw

Full size:

https://ibb.co/0QPmbR8
https://ibb.co/RHZMNhM
https://ibb.co/bd2k7k7
https://ibb.co/v3tx3ng
Edited by TobyJ
08/08/2022 2:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2273 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to say. The surface looks dull for a CC. I believe there are roller lines on Miss Liberty's cheek, also could be cabinet rub. A lot of haze from handling. A lack of luster on Miss Liberty's cap sets it to AU-58 in my eyes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9347 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in at MS63+.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71697 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lack of cartwheel bothers me as well. I'll say AU-58, but with a low confidence factor.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4722 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Luster seems a bit diminished but not enough to drop it down to AU. I think I'd net it out around 62.
Pillar of the Community
United States
819 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High points on the obverse appear to show some rub. Not seeing any rub on the reverse. Lack of cartwheel luster but hard to tell just from pictures. Put me in the AU-58 camp.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4085 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The subdued luster might be due to a layer of haze or toning. Some roller marks on the cheek. It looks MS to me, I'd say MS-63.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1545 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1133 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does seem to be toning that is hiding the lustre. Would NGC conservation effectively remove the toning? I've never used conservation for toning before.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12968 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 83(CC) the typical one should be sharp and bold. weakness above the ear and flatness of the breast will drop it a notch for strike. I agree with the rollers across the cheek but I am seeing rub or possible wear on almost all the highest devices on both sides. the luster is quite subdued for an MS coin but that could be lighting in the photos. the vid doesn't help as the coin is too far away. either AU58 or MS62. I'm leaning towards the AU58 box on this one so you got a decent deal at $233USD. if the coin grades at MS its over $400 and you stole it. unless where you bought it has no idea about grading its another reason the AU grade fits. CC dollars will continue to increase in value regardless of age and imo one of the better areas for long term investment if thats your goal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1234 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the video and photos, I don't see much original luster. Not a readily available CC dollar that I would want. My guess is AU58.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25267 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This sure looks MS-65 to me. Super clean cheek. I'm sure in hand the luster is far better than what these photos show.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4085 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might be a good one to send to NCS for conservation, to see if they can bring out the underlying luster.
Pillar of the Community
United States
707 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this could make 63. I could also be convinced it is a slider. Tough to tell.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1133 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies, quite a range of replies on this. AU58 to MS65. I'll be sending it in to NGC and will let you all know how it grades. Panzaldi, I took a better video. I uploaded it closer like you said, and you can change the quality to 4k:

Zd4Pb4i7pMw

Edited by TobyJ
08/08/2022 2:15 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12968 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the vid repost. one tip...dont move the coin to fast. slow it down but it does give a better read on the coin, I think there is more luster than the original photos show. I'm upgrading my original grade to MS63+
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 699Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: