Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 - 1959 Lincoln Cents- Incomplete Collection

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,278Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
99 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  1:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm reposting for info, tips, advice now that I have more images. To be honest, I couldn't bring myself to be more patient and I purchased the set you see for $300. How bad did I do? Please be gentle. The photo with the closeup of multiple cents is there to give an idea of what most of the coins condition are. I believe they are all minimally a G but I guess just assume an average. Is there any hope? I mean, if nothing else, I do need a lot of these for my own books.

Edit: forgot to add a photo.

Edited by Camrdaddy19
08/08/2022 2:47 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71623 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have the '31-S?
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog- That is a negative, sir.
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a feeling the only halfway decent coin (as far as premiums go) is the 1909 S.....
Pillar of the Community
United States
9328 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's hard to say, overall. The photos vary in what we can see/not see. The one set of photos of the '48 appears to show a plated coin--can't be certain?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71623 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for added photos. From what I can see this set would not be worth $300.
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add I6609 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With exception of 1909 s you are missing most of the key dates
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18130 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1920-D is interesting, it's either an off center or MAD depending on the reverse. The 1948 has been plated, PMD. The 09-S looks to have a bad scratch on it, too bad, it's probably the most valuable coin in the lot. I think you over-paid by $100-150 but at least it checks off a lot of boxes. It's a decent little starter set.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Learn More...
United States
24762 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To be honest, I couldn't bring myself to be more patient and I purchased the set you see for $300.

Ok yes that is exactly it @cam. Looks like you overpaid a bit, but to offset that not only do you have a super start on your Wheat cent collection, but also you recognize that putting together a set will take time and patience. It is a good lesson to learn and one I know that I have struggled with over the course of my collecting days.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate all the input everyone. A learning experience indeed. I do recognize how I jumped the gun a bit, but honestly, not to an extreme. I do have a great start to my collection and although not original thought or intention, I paid extra and it saved me a lot of time that I can spend looking at/for other items.

Also, Here's better pics of the 09 s. Thanks again everyone.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5648 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The one set of photos of the '48 appears to show a plated coin--can't be certain?

I agree. The plating of wheat cents was a very popular science class experiment done back in the 40s, 50s and LMCs in the 60s.

Very early in my coin collecting life I was taken advantage of by someone who preyed on my youthful exuberance and lack of knowledge. He probably took me for 75 bucks overpaying for LWCs to fill my folder at the time. Mind you this was in the early 80s and my preteen wallet wasn't thick. I'm not saying that anyone took advantage of you but it brought back memories of my experience.

At least you filled some holes. That's the silver lining.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18130 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about a picture of the reverse of the 1920-D? Better obverse picture would help too.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71623 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The second obverse pic of the '09-S above suggests it may even be a scratched details coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5374 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased the majority of coins below 1959 for $175 about 4 years ago. Some have been upgraded but 90% of the ones from 1932 to 1959 where from that purchase. I would not have paid $300 for your set.

Edited by hfjacinto
08/08/2022 7:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some better pictures of the 1920 D as requested.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71623 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obverse scratch might detail this coin.

To be honest, from what I've see so far, I'd value this set at $150-200 tops.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,278Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: