Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1880 S Morgan Grading Thanks

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 972Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

New Zealand
119 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  06:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NZStamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all can you grade this for me and thanks in advance.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm seeing wear on the top of the hair and on the eagle's breast ...so AU-55 for me. Maybe better pics would help.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12926 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
reverse is weak for the year. it should be sharp and bold. the breast is not showing much detail. it doesn't deduct a lot but needs to be considered in the grade

based on the photos it does not appear there is any breaks in the luster particularly the cheek area. some scuffs here and there but I'm not seeing any larger marks or scratches that would drop it to a 63. the eye appeal is decent.

i think it would come in at MS64

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71521 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at MS-64 as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1125 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kopperken really? C'mon, I don't ever call out people's grades but AU55 is impossible.

The lustre is extremely bright, hardly any contact marks, no deep ones. The lack of breast feathers is just from a less than typically sharp strike for the year to the reverse. The marks in between the cap and UNUM on the obverse I think might just stop this from sneaking into MS65.

MS64+ for me with a small chance at MS65. I have this year in MS64+ and it looks very very similar.
Nice coin, I love this year and the 1881 S.
Edited by TobyJ
08/09/2022 08:29 am
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a weaker strike for the year. I think that holds this one back from a MS-65. MS-64+
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@kopperken really? C'mon, I don't ever call out people's grades but AU55 is impossible.

Calm down @TobyJ...I understand now that this date is subjected to weak strikes so that would explain the lack of breast feathers on the reverse..education is a good thing....for the obverse pic on first glance I interpreted glare at the top of the head as wear. I stand corrected. It is probably a MS coin...that is not very attractive "AS PICTURED"..I'll correct to MS-62...maybe more pics will allow me to correct more. There's a lot of crap on the obverse and I'm not sure what the vertical "lines(?)" on the obverse are.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1125 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apologies @Kopper Ken . I didn't mean to sound aggressive, was just light heartedly disagreeing :)
Those vertical lines on the reverse are what are called 'die polish lines.' You can tell they are these and not from someone cleaning as they are only in the fields and do not carry over the eagle. Another difference is that die polish lines are raised above the surface of the coin rather than lines from cleaning which are indenting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1232 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Using these photos, I would say MS63 or MS64. Possible PL.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No issues TJ...I'm sure the coin is much better "in hand"...pics most assuredly do not allow for accurate grading...especially on eye appeal...I know I've been both ecstatic and disappointed after receiving coins from Ebay, bidding on just a set of pics.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
4080 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking coin! Excellent luster, and a pretty clean cheek. I'd say it makes MS-65.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25226 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the hit on the jaw will hold this one to MS-64.
Pillar of the Community
United States
897 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
KopperKen- AU55?

Easily Mint State Coin- MS64+
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
08/09/2022 2:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2426 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
for the obverse pic on first glance I interpreted glare at the top of the head as wear

Understandable. A pancake strike will affect the "frostiness" in the center of the coin and can mimic rub. I had to take a second glance, too.

The rest of the coin looks nice and I agree with the 64/+ crowd. The polishing lines on the reverse probably add to eye appeal in hand, but can detract in photos.
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
United States
2360 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say MS64. I know the die polishing lines should not subtract from a grade, but I do find them unappealing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2257 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64, obverse is nice but the reverse is chattered up. A morgan should have a better reverse to make that 65 grade.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 972Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: