Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974-S Silver $1, You Versus PCGS

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,207Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1060 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TheColorofMoney-You sure like to stir the pot!

I'm onto you now..
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20357 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect that this coin was placed of a sheet of chlorinated white paper on a windowsill and exposed to sunlight over a sufficient number of days to achieve the desired result..

Although beautiful, this sort of toning can be a bit distracting for my eyes.
Some may pay extra for the toning, some may pay less..
That makes pricing rather difficult to estimate.

For me,
such a coin best left to the slab grader.
Combination of
1. on screen pictures
2. under the plastic and
3. toning
make grading to be a tough task.
I can understand why PCGS would nevertheless be happy to grade it, with, or without comment.

Are slabs airtight enough to maintain these rather beautiful colors without further change?
Would a cliplock plastic bag help in this regard?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
13327 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Toning like this will never happened. The spectrum is not there

the color progression for toning on this coin does in fact match the spectrum.

1. Yellow (gold)
2. Brown
3. Blue
4. Red
5. Green
7 Purple
8. Black

i had this one at MS67.

TheColorofMoney could you please refrain from posting grade for at least 24hrs
Pillar of the Community
United States
2158 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A little silver cleaner and that tarnish will come right off!

I see enough hits on the eagle and other distracting marks that 68 seems awfully high. Even 67 is debatable. The colors are probably disguising similar marks on the obverse.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumismaticsFTW

All I have to do for entertainment is come here and bring along a toned coin with me.

set_69l

The toning is crazy vivid, but it sure does nothing to make that Ike coin more beuatiful.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot accept that a ~50 year old coin...and there may be multiples of these...toned in that manner naturally (non-intentional), especially with the improvement, over that same period, of holders/albums being chemically neutral (to an extent). Clearly a win for TPGs and auction houses...and a sad state for our hobby.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3656 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will give you here an example of an artificially toning:

And also the quote:
Quote:
Here's another example. This is a Morgan dollar sold by a high-volume eBay seller - he cooks these coins up to induce ugly "oil-spill"-style rainbow toning, then sells them for a premium. Notice the angular color swatches, and the abrupt transitions between colors. The colors are almost neon—this silver coin looks like something right out of a psychedelic trip. Stay far away from coins that look like these two, or else you risk overpaying for a junk coin worth no more than bullion value.

http://coinsguide.reidgold.com/toning.html
http://www.gainesvillecoins.com/tip...n-coins.aspx

Edited by silviosi
08/13/2022 9:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3656 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PAN put a small spectrum, me I will put here the full spectrum by stages of the silver coins and also the most complete analyze article about the rainbow coins. I wanted to put also the courses of Ken Potter done about the toning coins and detection of fake one, but at this moment I do not have his answer with his permission

and here the link for the study:
http://www.jhonecash.com/coins/tonedmorgans.asp

Enjoy the lecture and analyze your self the coins before you buy. Be aware that TPG certify at 50-50 correct.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20357 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the colors not listed is an even gray, usually found on silver coins more than a century old for higher graded examples, and 50 years of less for lower graded examples.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2547 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The issue is not "what does the toning look like today", but "what will the toning look like 10 years from now".
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3656 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NimisEd, if you want to preserve like is you vacuum. If no, will go to the steps. If it is artificially will stay as.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,207Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: