Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Could This Be A Legit 1936 Dot Canadian Cent?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,441Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1159 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  9:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Pictures below:

I found this inside a roll of KGV Canadian cents. Weighs 3.22g.
I know the odds of this being the real thing are slim to none but stranger things have happened.
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough to tell with the quality of those pictures but I doubt it. The dot looks too large. Please post large sharp photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1846 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I am strongly suggesting that you may actually have one! Not 100% probability, but maybe 85% to me It looks right to my eyes
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8876 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a made in China counterfeit to me.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
United States
2318 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say that the odds that you found a fake one in a roll are approximately one billion times higher than a real one. Even from the horribly out of focus obverse image I can tell it's garbage. Look at the garland. What even is that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1159 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
Canada
10223 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  07:07 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% Chinese counterfeit.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1985 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  07:11 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big Tree coin factory
Pillar of the Community
United States
1846 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at it again, can now say that things don't look right so I say not genuine after all
Pillar of the Community
United States
1159 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4346 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chinese Junk ( and not the 1934 Silver Dollar )
Pillar of the Community
United States
1159 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do want to point out that the roll at least had a 1926 and four 1930s, so it wasn't total bunk.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Besides general appearance are there specific die marks that would indicate a Chinese counterfeit?

KK
Canada
19 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter1343 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Besides general appearance are there specific die marks that would indicate a Chinese counterfeit?

They just don't look authentic.
China pumps these out faster than the RCM makes commemorative tokens
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16209 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Just compare the word CANADA on the reverse, especially the serifs with a genuine one.
You don't have to go any further than that.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4346 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fact that the piece is not a Specimen
and did not originate from Mint Master
La Fontaine's family estate is another
dead giveaway .
The 1936 Dot Cents were not regular issue
coinage .
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,441Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: