Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With 2022 Wmk Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 388Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  03:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pipesmith581 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm new at this and I'm not sure if this would be considered an error or if it's a verity please any advice will be appreciated.

First picture shows the area in question the flat spot and the second picture shows what supposed to be normal .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46461 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  04:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3611 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  06:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

We need to see full images of both sides of each coin that you post and then maybe a closeup of the area in question.

This is a great closeup of your coin and I think I can see what happened. The area just in front of Washington's eye is on the same plane as the fields in front of his nose. It looks like the die used to strike the coin had been polished, maybe to remove a die clash, and some of the detail was removed in the process.

I'd love to see the full coin image to see if it might show other signs of being struck with a polished or clashed die.

Nice catch and keep posting your finds!
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
9300 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with Yokozuna.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick-up!!!

KK
Learn More...
United States
116143 Posts
Learn More...
United States
24737 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes seems like an over polished die was used to strike this quarter.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59524 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like there was an slight grease issue on the filled in area on the die next to the eye ball. (Some Machine Doubling is also present on the right sides of the devices on both coins. The incuse area with the red arrow, could even be part of a hit the coin took along the way or just part of the design? (Both are showing the same thing on that area, so I feel it is part of the design)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pipesmith581 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are more pictures on reverse is a strike thru and on the obverse is die cracks around the nose and mouth.

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pipesmith581 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have over 20 of these coins with the flat spot between the eye and bridge of the nose .
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pipesmith581 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And thank you all for the welcomes and for sharing your knowledge I appreciate the help the only time I ever seen anything similar was on a Lincoln pennys that had scratch marks coming out of the eyes .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59524 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was thought to be a DDO, but determined it was a die chip, not a doubled eye.

Note the affected area is just opposite of the design, so it would not be a doubled die. Just a die chip on that area of the die.
Note that that is an area that is the die was rotated a bit, could damage the die on that area during a clash:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
08/15/2022 12:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1773 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF and polished die, no added value.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10982 Posts
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add G58NoReverse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pipe,.

This is only my opinion(beginner one at that sorta), to me it looks like beginning of the progression to the really nice bi-level reverse that was posted a few weeks ago.

@pipe find another bi-level I've seen 2 though heard of a couple others

Bj
Edited by G58NoReverse
08/17/2022 12:09 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59524 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the void to the right of the eye, looks like a polished area on the die. The fields are polished during that process, and the deepest part of the eye, would be on the field devices. Thus polishing would show on that area. If so this is just a die event, not a die variety.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 388Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: