Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1986 D Washington Quarter With An Unusual Error

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 721Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  01:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tafulk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone!
I found this quarter in my pocket with some other change and when I looked closer I noticed an error like I've never seen before..
Any help or insight on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Trav

Bedrock of the Community
United States
46557 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Not a mint error. Some type of PMD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
24789 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  06:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@taf, first welcome to CCF. Second, yes those square and angled depressions are damage occurring after the coin was struck rather than mint errors.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16302 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

As stated above, it is not an error, it is damage that
happened after the coin was struck. Value 25 cents.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tafulk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to disagree with that it happened after it was struck. It is raised up around the hole on both sides of the coin. Here is a better picture of the front side of the coin and in the hole you can see that it is a copper color.. it is raised on the reverse side around the hole just like it is on this side
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46557 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have the right to disagree with us,but it is what it is...PMD. You can always send it in to a grading company, ANACS is least expensive, but you would be wasting your money none the less.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
08/18/2022 07:34 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
9349 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm seeing post-strike damage. I agree with John1 above. If you do submit it to a reputable 3rd party grading/assessment service, please let us know the result. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3627 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

It's just Post Mint Damage (PMD.) Toss it back and keep on looking!
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71713 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely PMD.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
753 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try to think about an meteorite hitting the earth, the impact creates a mound of dirt around the crater that is what happened to your coin. It looks like a square punch was hammered on it.
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tafulk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's PMD, then how can it have a raised impression around both holes? It has a copper colored chunk on the face side of the coin that is blocking part of the hole. When you flip the coin over to look at the other side of the hole, it is not the same size as the as the other side and it does not directly line up with the hole. It also has a raised impression around it. Ifnit had been struck with something post mint then it should have an indention on it at one of the holes.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59630 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Damage like this would make this coin a cull coin. Not a plus for the coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16302 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are countless ways that a coin can be damaged but unless you were there
at the time, you may never know how it happened.
The thing to remember is that there are a limited number of things that can happen
to a coin when it is struck creating an error
You have been told this by numerous very experienced members so unless you can explain how
this could possibly happen during the striking of the coin, the only alternative is that it is damage.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1814 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF Just a wild guess here. I think this coin was damaged from a spot wielder.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3273 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... it is not the same size as the as the other side and it does not directly line up with the hole...

First, the dark item is in the same place on both sides of the coin. Here is a link to 25 cent overlays to help show how the areas do line up. http://www.maddieclashes.com/twenty...nt-overlays/

My guess is that the dark metal is magnetic because it looks like an older tapered cut nail. They are/were used for nailing down oak flooring or wood to concrete.

Put a magnet on it to see if it is magnetic.

The tapered part would push the metal outward as it was driven deeper into the coin. (In the reverse side and out the obverse.) This could explain the raised metal on both sides of the coin. Then the nail was cut off and circulation did the rest.

It has interesting PSD. I like it more than most PSD coins.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
08/18/2022 7:35 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 721Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: