Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Genuine Proof Capped Bust Dime?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 766Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
185 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  7:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I came across this bust dime that is labeled as a proof. I know that very few proof bust dimes were made, so I wanted to see from you all if you think this is a genuine coin. If so, what do you believe the value would be for a coin like this? Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73438 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you take it out of the holder, crop and enlarge your images, and give us the weight please.
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, these aren't my photos. I'm looking to potentially purchase the coin. Still, thanks for your response! (Edit: this coin is slabbed by a company by the name of National Numismatic Certification, so obviously not a top-tier grading company).
Edited by CoinEnthusiast
08/21/2022 7:14 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20357 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that this coin is definitely not a proof, despite the obviously very high condition.
This coin is not the best example of a strike, - it is way too far off center,- almost to being a minor error. In fact, it could carry some extra value for this reason.
Proof coins are supposed to be the best examples of mint products that a mint can produce.

Nevertheless, a highly desirable piece to include in any collection, due to the high condition.
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the information @sel_69l; I figured as such. With that said, what sort of grade would you estimate this coin is in? Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73438 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without much larger images, I don't feel comfortable offering a grade. I would ask seller for much better pics, and if he won't offer them, then I'd pass.
Edited by Coinfrog
08/21/2022 7:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
387 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this is die marriage JR-12. no proofs are reported from this die pairing. the strait necked 2 in the date combined with a scroll ending under the left half of the M in america are reasonable pickup points for attribution.

i dont think this coin is off center. I think that the image is partially obscured by the holder.
i like large cents. I currently have >225 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2434 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the coin isn't struck off center - they probably just didn't have one of their cheap foam inserts that fit it. NNC isn't just "not a top-tier", they're borderline scam artists. If they say it's a proof, it's probably because it's heavily polished. I'm certainly no expert on these though, just someone who got scammed by an NNC slab many years ago when I was dumber.
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglebub7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin hammered at $729.29
Valued Member
United States
382 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2022  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would pass on anything graded by NNC.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3672 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2022  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If NNC claimed the Earth is in orbit around the sun. I would still want independent confirmation.
-----Burton
48 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 766Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: