Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2013 5 Dollar Bill With Serial Number That Has Repeating Numbers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 612Next Topic  

United States
26 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  4:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kama7737 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I have a 2013 $5 bill with the repeating numbers 33773399. The bill is in 'good' condition. It has been folded multiple times and you can tell it's been in circulation, but no tears or anything defacing the bill.
Is there a name for this type of repeating serial number and is it worth keeping?

Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This is called a QUAD DOUBLE when a serial number has four sets of doubles
(pairs of numbers) (11223344). Condition generally contributes a lot to value (so finding them in uncirculated new bills increases value potential), but its a great find, worth keeping, and there is interest among many collectors for these.

The name is sometimes also confused with a double quad serial number, the first four digits are all the same and the last four digits are all the same, but a different number. Examples are 88882222 and 55559999.

Its also possible to have a repeater serial number where the second four digits are a repeat of the first four digits. This would have been the case if your serial was 33773377 or 33993399.
Edited by datadragon
09/24/2022 5:21 pm
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kama7737 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your quick response and information. This is Awesome!. I'm just now starting to collect currency so this is great news,
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20344 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Needs to be 33773377, or 33993399, to have any real value to a serious collector.
Still, as a lower denomination Bill, if it had been in CFU (Crisp Flat Uncirculated), it would have been a keeper,
but too far gone in it's current condition, unfortunately.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47386 Posts
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kama7737 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback everyone and the links John. It's definitely a keeper for my starter collection. IF I ever try to sell it, it may only fetch a few extra dollars from a beginner like me but that's ok.
Learn More...
United States
118320 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 612Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: