Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943 PCGS Sample Penny

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,103Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  03:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sloooo44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have run across a 1943 penny PCGS slab that is marked sample. What does that mean? I have searched for a few hours and can't find any information on it
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3775 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  03:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

It's not referring to the coin, but the slab. When PCGS promotes a new style of slab for coins they will do a run of 'Sample' labeled slabs for people to examine. I think they are distributed at coin shows.

They can be quite collectable and I would think a 1943 cent would be a good one to have.
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Edited by Yokozuna
09/25/2022 03:43 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4197 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  03:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not a sample coin. It's a sample slab
https://www.PCGS.com/news/what-you-...sample-slabs
Edited by keith12
09/25/2022 03:47 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
1027 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  05:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I know, such slab are distributed at coin shows, the company makes them so that dealers can study the new product of TPG companies.
They seem to be free, but they can often be seen at dealers who sell them at a low price.
Edited by Slerk
09/25/2022 05:54 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8537 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF. Agree with the answers given above.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10014 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  06:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've some cross one or two sample slabs. Fun to evaluate.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1024 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, welcome to the Community.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73532 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20732 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Keep it as is.
just carl
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sloooo44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand now. Thank you for the answers. The coin is in beautiful condition but not graded. I'm going to run home real quick and take a picture and post it. Would it make sense to send it off to have it graded or is this one of those instances that keeping it in the sample slab is better for the protection of the coin and how unique it is? I literally searched for hours and only found 1 other coin that was like the one I have. Give me about 20 minutes and I'll have a picture up so you can see what I see.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sloooo44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should I leave it just the way it is?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8537 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest leaving it as-is.

There are actually collectors of the various sample slabs and the few I had at one time I sold on eBay for about $15 each - and that is more than that 1943-S cent would be worth.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8537 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yours appears to be a relatively recent PCGS sample slab. The ones I had were earlier versions, here is one of them for comparison:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3775 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel that the appeal of this coin is that it's in a Sample Slab. For a 1943-S cent to warrant certification it would need to be at least an MS-67. It's hard to tell the grade from this image but I would guess that it's not up to that level.

The 'No Grade Code' of 80 would appear to be used for Sample Slabs.

I'd keep it as is. If you want or need a graded example you can find them without much effort. They sell for $100 or less for a Mint State 67 example.

Nice coin in an interesting slab! Thanks for posting!
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sloooo44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your info. I really appreciate your help telling me what I have.
Learn More...
United States
118500 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,103Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: