Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972 D Penny Need Help Column To The Left Of Lincoln

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 443Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
371 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  08:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hlw1976 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this doubling I see at the top of pillar

Hlw1976
Valued Member
United States
371 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hlw1976 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In case it's inconclusive I took this one

Hlw1976
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60935 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possible die scratch. If it were on the new coins with the single squeeze dies, it could be a DDR. But on that year, that was before that time. The DDR's at the time were found more on the outer areas of the devices. (Post mid 1990's cent reverses were starting to be seen on the central areas on the DDR's. Thus I feel this was a scratch that lasted a lot longer, because of the location protected by the bays.
Variety Vista does list one DDR, but note the difference in strength of the affected area
http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20L...2DDDR001.htm
Note how much stronger it is.
Coppercoins lists two,
1972D-1DR-002
https://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln...ie_state=mds
Wexler lists the same one a Variety Vista
http://doubleddie.com/671734.html
1972-D 1 WDDR-001 :Description: A slanted extra ceiling can be found above the statue of Lincoln.
So the strength is not enough to be a DDR on your coin. Looks more like a fading die scratch or a beginning of a die crack.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
09/28/2022 12:41 pm
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's what makes this coin so interesting:

There are only 3 listed DDR's pre 1990's (single squeeze method introduction) involving this area of the LMC and all 3 of these DDR's are 1972-D, same as yours, and all three involve some minor doubling at the top of bays 6 & 7. Yours is at the top of bay 5, so all of these involving minor doubling in the same area of the coin.

1 is listed on VV, the same one is listed and cross referenced on Wexler, and two different DDR's are listed are doubleddie.com (I'm assuming they're different because they aren't listed as having been cross referenced with any other listing).

In my opinion your coin is as strong as the VV/Wexler DDR and stronger than the Doubleddie DDRs, so I think you have something worth having someone take a look at.

I'm not sure who among the reliable attributers is currently taking submissions (Wexler, Wiles, etc.), but I would ask around about who's still attributing and consider getting a second opinion on this one.

If you decide to please report back the results.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60935 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The difference between a DDR and a die crack/gouge/die scratch? The later are die events. This was not on the die from coin strike #1. On the DDR, the area is showing part of the hub design on that area. (raised and larger) Note the links I mentioned and then you will see what I'm seeing as not being a DDR. A die event is not a DDR.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 443Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: