Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cappadocia, Caesarea. Domitian. 81-96. AR Didrachm Opinions Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 428Next Topic  

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2022  10:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wade16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would like to know if this coin is genuine. It is 6.6 grams and about 21mm size.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
674 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wade16

to CCF

Some of these look interesting.
https://www.acsearch.info/search.ht...=1&es=1&ot=1¤cy=usd&order=0 to CCF
Other wiser heads will be able to give you a better indication. The weight & diameter seem to be around the mark.

Do you have a reason to doubt its provenance?

The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Edited by ttkoo
11/28/2022 12:22 am
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wade16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know many coins are fake. I got it at a garage sale, so I do not know where it came from. What value would a coin in this condition be worth?
Edited by Wade16
11/28/2022 01:56 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20592 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that this one is genuine.
Style and weight OK.
XRF (silver should be in the 75 to 90 % range), should confirm,
despite the lack of provenance, and never being able to prove
It looks like it may have been acid washed after recovery from burial; that would explain the texture of the surfaces.

I rather like it. Congrats on your acquisition.
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  02:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wade16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for the good news. Any idea as to value?
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1159 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  05:29 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Worth is subjective on how a person sells a coin. If you were willing to wait and put a price or entertain offers or if you just wanted to see it sold and listed it in an online auction. Below are all didrachms of Cappadocia Caesarea and while none are this exact emperor, I would think his father Vespasian's coins would be a good reference. Again all are past sales from an auction.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...mihi=&_udhi=
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
674 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  05:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You already know what the cost is, you just paid it at the sale. It's value is what price you put on it, hoping the next buyer agrees with you. Me, I wouldn't sell it, I don't have any of Domitian, and it's too nice a piece. IMO.
Well found.
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20592 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really have to agree with ttkoo.

1. Even if you know nothing at all about ancient coins, if you sell it, it is gone for good.
2. If you are only a novice collector in other areas of coin collecting, this coin, by itself, would be unique in your collection.
3. If you already have a few ancient coins, then this one would be a very nice addition.

Every which way you look at it, you are a winner,
that is, unless,
you sell it.

I hope you get my drift.
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wade16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really appreciate your information and good advice. Thank you all.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 428Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: