Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Kennedy Half Dollar Errors Reverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 391Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
53 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  5:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Reds_brother18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I noticed the lines going through the eagle like in photo 3, like the Sacagawea dollar eagle kind of; is it a broken die for the 2, which is causing the void that's there? I think by 1, looks like a small G and the 4 has something going on with the shield. Can I get some experts opinions please

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10632 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Difficult to tell given the soft nature of the pics posted. Having said that, I believe I'm seeing some post-strike damage and possibly a die chip or two.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17393 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see anything there that can't be attributed to
circulation damage. You are looking too hard for things
that aren't there. Suggest reading up on a site like
error-ref.com to learn what real errors look like.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75091 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sharper closeups of the areas that interest you would be helpful.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reds_brother18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Curious as to the doubling I see also. Specifically on the eagle head, with the doubling going to the left, and the M, with it's doubling going to the right. Going in different directions eliminates Machine Doubling so what is the reason for that? Jimmy D perhaps in all your infinite wisdom perhaps I can be worthy of a drop of knowledge please sir
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reds_brother18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And the blob on Kennedy's ear at the bottom?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2581 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing anything that can't be explained as circulation damage. Reed Marks, dings, and scrapes.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4245 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK. What we have here:

Observe it is a normal Die.
Reverse:
1. The Die use here was a Die recycled from the SMS strike which was use in April 1965.
2. The photo 3 long line come from deterioration of the Die.
3. Tong is longer then the normal strike of the 1964 and is normal for a die for SMS. Variety is considerate if was touch the ray or pass over. I have only 6 like this from more then 10K coins study.
4. The head is considerate as MD. Same like you focus on the head you can see on the both wings. If was only the head will be need to analyze more, but I find to many to be Double Die and to less to be Hub Doubling.

I hope now you has a clear vision of your coin.
Edited by silviosi
11/29/2022 6:30 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13952 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9199 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm seeing normal circulation damage marks, plus the observations silviosi so accurately makes.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reds_brother18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silviosi so this would be considered an SMS variety? What kind of value would this carry
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4245 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not an SMS variety. Was just use the SMS's pre-retried Dies to complete the production for normal strike. Those coins are abundant in the market. The difference it is those coins are more nicer then the previous business strike coins and sure anybody who want to has a nice crisp design will wish for collection. I have no Idea about prices, me I analyze and study the coins. If you want wont to know, me I work with Heritage, Sotheby's and Christies. Ok I have some 2 others famous persons who touch my own collector association.
Edited by silviosi
11/29/2022 9:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
723 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just a regular business strike that had sustained a few circulation hits.

@silviosi: ?
link to where they say SMS dies are recycled please.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4245 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JTTC Made a request to the Phil Mint to show you the 1964 and 1968 archive. Good Luck for. Also you can look of the Mint Report and Congress decisions of 1964.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61020 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still a silver melt coin. So it is a keeper for that at least. Looks like contact marks on the reverse areas in the center. ( Reed Marks from another coin)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17393 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Curious as to the doubling I see also. Specifically on the eagle head, with the doubling going to the left, and the M, with it's doubling going to the right. Going in different directions eliminates Machine Doubling so what is the reason for that? Jimmy D perhaps in all your infinite wisdom perhaps I can be worthy of a drop of knowledge please sir

Sorry for the delay, I just noticed this now.
I never commented on the doubling as you did not highlight it as one of the areas that you wanted an opinion on.
The Eagle head is Machine Doubling, not sure where you see doubling on the M.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 391Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: