Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1910 Canada 50c: Edwardian Leaves Or Victorian, Grade?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 496Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
476 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  6:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just got this in an online auction. It's obviously dipped, but looks nice in hand. Opinions on type and grade please.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1395 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF 40, not sure on normal strike, maybe an AU 50.

Nice coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
74957 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-53 (Sheldon), but hairlines detract.
Valued Member
Canada
199 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like Victorian Leaves.

I'm going to go with EF-45 cleaned. I think someone took something to it to assist the dip, unfortunately. Might reach AU-50 on a lucky day but I think EF is the right place for it. If it went to ICCS and they net grade it you might even end up with something lower.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1302 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's Victorian leaves; look how thin the rim is on the reverse.

EF-40 tops.

Great coin!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17345 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To answer the second part of your question,
that is the Victorian Leave variety.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4497 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Victorian Leaves .
AU details due to the hairline scratches.
Still way above what is normally encountered !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
26118 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2022  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like enough meat on this one for AU-50.
Valued Member
Canada
476 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2023  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

No signs of anything other than dipping.
Valued Member
Canada
199 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2023  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably worth noting to folks that all the apparent hairlines are actually on the flip and not the coin. Lol. Not knowing that makes it harder to grade.

Regardless I'm surprised with the very heavy hits on the obverse that it doesn't have a damaged notation. I suppose they are obvious though, but still. EF is the right grade for this one, although if you took it out of the flip now and re-subbed it to ICCS I think you could get a 45 on it, but there are no guarantees in life! :) If you sent it to a US TPG I suspect it might detail grade, but likely they would give it AU whether it detailed or not. They are a lot more forgiving in their grading of mid grade Canadian coins.
Valued Member
Canada
476 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2023  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm happy with it, and the auction price included a 1910 50C 'Edwardian' graded by ICCS as F15.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 496Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: