Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Would These Be FS On This Beautiful Nickel?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 558Next Topic  

United States
23 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  11:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Goree7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would this be considered FS?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10688 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please show a pic of the obverse. Thanks.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Goree7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
United States
26190 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both look FS to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9267 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, those are FS. Too bad about all of the deep bag hits on the obverse.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Goree7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is actually only 1 coin. I just took 2 pictures of each side on different backgrounds. What would y'all say this would grade as?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18456 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a 6 stepper. If the obverse didn't have issues ,this coin would have graded MS-67 FS .
As is MS-64 FS .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10688 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Full steps are not that uncommon with more modern nickels--vs the first ~35+ years of Jefferson mintage. Reverse design tweaks have allowed for a higher occurrence of FS examples (among other things).
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Goree7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My thought process:

Anything before 1970 with FS is apparently an extreme rarity. This makes sense due to the fact the older age of the coin has more opportunity to wear down the steps. So in 20 years a FS nickel that has had its steps kept intact because it is protected after being graded with then be a rarity. Am I wrong?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9267 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  04:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My thought process:

Reading your reply, I'll give you credit for logical thinking. Alas, the logic does not add up with the facts of what actually occurred during the Jefferson nickel series.

First, the appearance of full steps occurs at the mint and is not the result (or lack thereof) of circulation wear as you suggest.

The combination of die quality and strike pressure determine if the new coin is FS.

From 1938 through mid-1987 FS Jefferson nickels were relatively rare due to the die quality and striking issues. In fact, for some early-1950's San Francisco mint issues an MS-FS example is valued in the thousands of dollars.

In 1987 the mint made changes to the dies and coinage equipment resulting in a significant increase in the percentage of FS nickels issued.

These changes continued to occur to the point where today nearly all newly minted Jefferson nickels are FS.

Prove it to yourself by going to your local bank and purchase a roll of new 2022 Jefferson. I bet 45+ of them are FS.

Your 1992 dated Jefferson falls into the date range where a FS example is to be expected as quite common.

As I commented above the significant obverse bag hits are an unfortunate distraction and IMO hold the coin to MS62 at best.

edit for spllgening
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
12/05/2022 04:52 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13735 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63 6 step but nickelsearcher laid out the history for you regarding that
Learn More...
United States
120865 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2363 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nickelsearcher, I need to go to your bank since mine gives me only 40 nickels per roll, sometimes fewer ;-)

there's enough scuffing in the fields, such as left of the date and above cents, that this example may have seen some circulation

if those lighter areas are instead reflections, I'd say MS64 FS at best, held back by the obverse
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 558Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: