Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1929 S LWC RPM FS-501 I Think I Found A New VLDS Example With Reverse Die Changed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 354Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2284 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  1:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is an ugly coin and definitely not a flashy rpm in this die state. I wasn't sure it was the RPM until I had it in hand. There are no remnants of the secondary mint mark but the markers are present for lds. The reverse die looks very fresh and correct me if I'm wrong but this may be a unique piece. What do you think?

I'm going to try to clarify a little bit here. This particular rpm has several die states. The latest die state listed on any of the sites has old worn out obverse and reverse dies. This coin has the original vlds obverse with an eds reverse. I think this was done very late in the run and very few examples of this die state exist.
Edited by Willburton
12/04/2022 3:16 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10668 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not immediately seeing the reverse die markers--given the pics posted.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2276 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ijn1944 , I'm thinking that is Will's point. This is a unlisted die marriage. This reverse die had been unknown paired with rpm#1
Excellent find Will!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2284 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that's what I was getting at. Thanks guys! It's a decent score at 62RB even without the new reverse die.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1671 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks close to being a rim to rim die crack.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Pillar of the Community
United States
2284 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coinhi. It's a very odd die crack. Making it easy to ID.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14052 Posts
Learn More...
United States
120727 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 354Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: