Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Impressive Provenance!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 445Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5620 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  5:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a small collection of coins issued by the Este family as Marquis and Dukes of Ferrara (1344 - 1597), and have posted a few of them here: http://goccf.com/t/402661&SearchTerms=ferrara

But I did not realize this family had a renowned coin collection (Greek and Roman coins) assembled beginning in the 15th century. A Roman bronze from that collection is currently up for auction. Very interesting read: https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=l...6346&lot=731

The two headed eagle used to mark the coins in that collection can be found on one of the Ferrara coins in my thread (scroll down to the coin of Borso).
Edited by tdziemia
12/06/2022 6:50 pm
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samoth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love researching provenances.

I acquired a few items some years back that were ex-Prince of Ligne, which had me purchasing auction cats from the '70s to see if they were plated (they weren't; they were in group lots). Ditto with something from Schulman traced to the '50s.

It's interesting to see how coins that weren't thought of very highly or sold in group lots decades ago are now stand-alone lots... or even featured lots with paragraphs of text about their history.

It's unfortunate that only AVs, crowns, & medals tended to get plated in the past; it makes it hard to trace back stuff that's really interesting -- and sometimes, we come to find, extremely rare.

Maybe some of our coins will be linked to our names a couple hundred years from now! :)
Learn More...
United States
26083 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I love researching provenances.

Me too--it is very rewarding to trace a coin through several different hands.

@tdz, thx for posting this!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75021 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great links, thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1270 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting! I didn't know about this "custom" (it's probably not very common, and not advisable either, unless you are at least a count with plans to become famous among numismatists 500 years later ).

Is there a term for this? In line with the ex libris that book collectors mark their books with, would this be an ex nummis?

Edited by erafjel
12/07/2022 07:37 am
Learn More...
United States
120601 Posts
Learn More...
United States
26083 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there a term for this?

How about "numismatic counterstamp"?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 445Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: