Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1914 D Lincoln Wheat Cent Counterfeit

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 520Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
514 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  6:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TippyCanoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,
I purchased a collection and this coin was in the 1914 D spot. I feel like this is counterfeit as the mintmark doesn't look right, there are scratches around it, and positioning is off. Can you help confirm my suspicions. Thank you!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14100 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
634 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An acetone bath would reveal the truth. But those scratches, coupled with the off placement of the "D", are quite indicative of an adulterated coin.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TippyCanoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What would the acetone bath reveal, if you don't mind me asking?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5043 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the mm were glued on then acetone would likely drop it off by melting the glue. But it's a nifty counterfeit so why risk ruining it. Quite unusual and not the same as most of the fakes we see for this date.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48578 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  04:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TippyCanoe,
Did we miss your 500-post milestone contest? Anyways,congrats on your milestone
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
512 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake.
But great example.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10683 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example to include in a fake collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TippyCanoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not familiar with Milestone contest. Help. Thank you to all!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1128 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48578 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a contest or giveaway that some members have to celebrate a post count milestone.Check out the ended contest section of the forum for ideas.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75215 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like some sort of tooling around the MM.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
22237 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valid locations...

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18456 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
TippyCanoe,
Did we miss your 500-post milestone contest? Anyways,congrats on your milestone

John you have a great way of reminding members when they reach a milestone so that we can have many contest giveaways .
Thank you for looking out !
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48578 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome, but I really only want a chance to win stuff . The way I see it is all members should have at least one contest or giveaway to "give" back to the members for all the help we "give" them...just sayin'
John1
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 520Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: