Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Odd Observation On An 1875-S 20 Cent Piece

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 568Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
70 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  10:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ElmerFlick to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bought this 1875-S today from a LCS and noticed 12 of the 13 stars were well defined and ornate. The star near 1:00, however, is a mess. What likely caused this? Die chip? Filled with grease? Any ideas? Thanks, ElmerFlick

Edited by ElmerFlick
12/08/2022 10:33 pm
Learn More...
United States
26086 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My initial thought is that this star is showing more circulation wear than the others, but I'm interested to hear addition opinions.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2614 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quick look on Heritage shows many with one or more flat stars, usually including that one. Here's an MS65 where almost all the right hand stars are flat. Striking issue?
https://coins.ha.com/itm/twenty-cen...bnail-071515

Edit: Another listing says "Some strike softness is noted on several border stars", so they seem to think that's what it is.
Edited by kbbpll
12/08/2022 11:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting that this "strike softness" is not apparent on the corresponding areas of the reverse.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Pillar of the Community
United States
2555 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am almost certain it is strike weakness. This already has a fantastic strike overall compared to other examples.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
556 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  02:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my 1875-S graded MS66 with a CAC, and as you see, the stars on the right side have no detail, while those on the left have nice detail. With yours, only one star is weak. I think you should be VERY happy with that strike.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75021 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just didn't strike up well - commonly found on Seated coinage.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElmerFlick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all. Didn't realize these were often poorly struck.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 568Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: