Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Coin? Sort Of Strange Application.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 326Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  8:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add silvering to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is an insert from a broken estate find ring. It has been chopped down for that purpose. I think it was a coin, but I have no clue what it is. Hope for help Identifying.

Learn More...
Australia
14957 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was indeed from a coin - French. Your can just see the beginnings and endings of the words "Republique" and "Francaise".

I can't ID which coin it was borrowed from.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
26116 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sil, with that bust, it is for sure French. Based on the partial inscription to the right MORLO, I'm pretty sure it is from the 1930s or 1940s. See this link to a 50 Centimes for comparison. Any chance of you showing us a picture of the other side? Thx.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces890.html
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silvering to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help! The elder in this estate was in Europe during WW II.
The reverse is ground so no help.

I will keep searching and hope others will.
Learn More...
Australia
14957 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2022  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence has found it. It will be an aluminium-bronze coin, either the 50 centimes, 1 franc or 2 francs from the 1930s (pre-WWII), depending on size.

These coins were withdrawn by the Vichy regime once France surrendered to the Nazis. This may in turn mean that the ring itself was perhaps originally made as some kind of membership ring for an anti-Nazi Resistance cell during the War.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2022  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These coins were withdrawn by the Vichy regime once France surrendered to the Nazis. This may in turn mean that the ring itself was perhaps originally made as some kind of membership ring for an anti-Nazi Resistance cell during the War.

Now THIS is interesting! Thank you for the thought.
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2022  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silvering to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence, Thanks for locating the coin and taking interest.
Sap, Thanks for the very interesting info.
As the pic. of the ring shows it is broken. Appears to be bronze, no inscription, with a V design on each side. I'll have to show it to our local jeweler to see if it can be repaired.

I'll try to research the info and hope others, if interested, will do the same.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 326Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: