Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Trying Make Cents , On Strikes With Grease

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 332Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
67 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2022  12:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jamesrandall to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there any extra, value to a coins heavily worn out in spots , by grease on strike through?
If I worded this right.
I finally got the d/d figured out. from all the help I got here .saw pictures on another site . Then I got it.
I have lots of coins that have missing letters and etc. with great, sharp images around the weak missing spots .I thought they were weak strikes.if I got this right ? If the two go toghter? Help me with this. Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
1158 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2022  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everything has a value. How much? It is in the person who wants it and how much they are willing to pay. Check e-bay, price books, magazines,experts, ect... Also, if you like it then that is what counts.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3723 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2022  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a minimal numismatic premium, except for a few dramatic ones. And those that have a good PR department such as "In God We rust".
-----Burton
49 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLine Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 39 years (joined 1983)

PS: ANA's records are messed up, they show me as a 50-year member and I'm now Emeritus
Pillar of the Community
United States
737 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2022  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Short answer: Grease strikethroughs are very common for the most part, and because of that only grease strikes which have obliterated large areas of the coin should normally have any added value. The exception are coin series which are rarely found with errors of any kind. There are some that are missing parts of the design and some that have a following such as 2005-P Kansas "In God We Rust" quarter missing the T for trust. Regardless even minor grease strikethroughs have been selling as well but dont expect to retire when its minor. Sometimes the grease strike will partially obliterate the design, while at other times it will completely do so and those are the most desired of these types of errors.

This type of error coins occurs when grease gets on the planchet or die and is struck into the coin. The grease can come from any number of sources including the minting press, which has lots of moving parts that get oiled, or it could come from the planchets themselves, which historically have at various periods in time been coated with a small amount of oil.

Edited by datadragon
12/10/2022 12:40 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14096 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10262 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2022  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greasers are not weak strikes. Please show us photos (one coin per thread please) so we can assist you without speaking in generalities.
ça va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2022  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jamesrandall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll try to at the beginning of work week. When I get back to the job.
I go through my coins then.
I've been blessed ,I work able 1/2 hour a day for 8 hours a shift. 27 1/2years . UAW .25years I did work hard. Weekends for me ,is horse racing and football.and a lot of walleyes.my horse is on farm, won two races out 11 this years. Like I said I've bless .

Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2022  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ozzy5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To everyone that has insight on this topic, I'd really like to know if anyone has ever field tested the idea that grease will impede 88,000 lbs of pressure on a surface area less than 1/2"x 1/2". If it's nothing more than a term that's universally used but not actually understand to be the cause of the specific distortion, I could live with that.

What drives me nuts is the fact that anyone with the aspiration can get a Doctorate in Numismatics which in my mind must hold some scientific and forensic training. Simply put, grease must obey the laws of thermodynamics. Pressure translates into heat, heat changes the properties of grease, probably just burning it up at that pressure. I think some explanations are misleading and in this case ridiculous.

I don't have a degree in metallurgy nor numismatics. I do have experience with large punches, presses and a variety of metal alloys. I've never seen grease do anything other than it's intended purpose, lubricate a friction point. If the struck thru grease theory had any weight to it your wheels wouldn't turn well, engine wouldn't fire correctly, it would even make it difficult to open and close doors because it would impede the surface it was supposed to lubricate.

I'd love to know the history of the attribution in general. My personal theory is someone was presented with a coin that has been restruck/overstruck that would cause lots of distorted lines and basically look like what grease might do if it were a solid material.

I believe that missing letters, worn areas on coins are generally the cause of build up on the die of copper/zinc/silver/nickel or whatever alloy the planchette is made of. Another possibility is die wear or slight misalignment.

The only way this will ever be answered is to actually test the theories. Grease would not even be on my long list of possibilities.

Thank you.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 332Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: