| Author |
Replies: 13 / Views: 401 |
|
|
New Member
United States
3 Posts |
Hi there! Long time, first time. Came across this dime the other day and wanted to see what y'all's thoughts on it might be. The chin caught my eye initially and had me searching for any documented 2024 dime DDOs. That turned up nothing, but casting a wider net led me to a reading some pretty interesting articles about the sticky wicket that was (is?) FDR and his hot, hot lips.. lol Using an overlay posted by the magnanimous COOP, I felt pretty confident in calling the coin a die clash, though it does have some doubling to it that I'm not sure if it's MD or not. I'd be grateful for insights & opinins! Thx     
|
|
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79200 Posts |
I'm only seeing Machines Doubling. Looks normal.
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
7592 Posts |
I agree, MD and contact marks from another coin's reeding
|
|
New Member
 United States
3 Posts |
Clarifying overlay pic 
|
|
Moderator
 United States
107175 Posts |
 to CCF. I see heavy Reed Marks on the side of the head and Ear. Machine Doubling on the obverse devices of Liberty and the forehead. But I don't think that you have a clash in the area you are pointing out. These areas are incuse on the die and are rarely impacted by the opposing die. Die clashes will usually present themselves on the low areas of the die, (the flat fields).
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
8999 Posts |
 In my opinion, this is definitely worth sending in. It does not look like doubleddies.com (Wexler), is taking submissions on dime varieties right now but maybe reach out to VV (Variety Vista) to see if they are taking submissions. VV link. http://varietyvista.com/index.htm
-makecents-
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
5888 Posts |
I'm with Makescents. The area in front of the chin isn't flat, as MD might be.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
7592 Posts |
If you lok closely at each picture they are all show different details and marking , so consider the fact that lighting plays a big roll in how we see the details in different angles and different lighting direction.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
4424 Posts |
Woah! This looks to be a pretty significant doubled die. I would give this the "Best Of" designation with little hesitation.
Super cool find!
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79200 Posts |
Well, I was wrong.  Congratulations on the new unlisted DDO find!    I didn't even see it until now.
Errers and Varietys.
Edited by Errers and Varietys 09/27/2026 10:40 pm
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2810 Posts |
Strange that the doubling seems to affect the ear and lips only but that is a nice looking DDO. I look forward to seeing the listing photos on this one. Great find!
"Pride is yoked with callous behavior, as humility is with compassion." St. Gregory Palamas Top Finds - 1969-S 1c FS-101 http://goccf.com/t/477681 1976 D WQ FS-101 http://goccf.com/t/382777 - 1968 D 1c FS-801 http://goccf.com/t/422254Cool clashed dies - 1972 D 1c http://goccf.com/t/429855&SearchTerms=CCLStruck-In Rim Burr - 1969 S 1c http://goccf.com/t/425587&SearchTerms=burrFloating (Type II) Counterclash - 1978 D 1c http://goccf.com/t/434991&SearchTerms=1978
|
|
Moderator
 United States
195821 Posts |
 to the Community!
|
|
New Member
 United States
3 Posts |
I appreciate the input from everybody! I got pretty stuck in trying to figure out exactly what error(s) are present on the coin, and it looks like I'm the only one in the "die clash" camp, which I totally get because there aren't the typical incuse clash marks. I'm not 100% with my assessment, and frankly I'd be STOKED for it to be a new DDO! In searching for dimes with doubling on the lips I started reading about the 'Hot Lips' varieties that had been found on some older dimes, and the controversy amongst different experts' opinions on the matter. http://varietyvista.com/Hot%20Lips%...%20Study.htm https://conecaonline.org/1964-roose...r-die-clash/There are a couple articles that are worth a read. Now, the doubling on Hot Lips is different from what I found on the 2024, but it's interesting to compare/contrast them. Honest question: how would one go about trying to get a proper attribution?
Edited by Declan Today 2H 57M ago
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
8999 Posts |
Quote: how would one go about trying to get a proper attribution? Above, I said that doubleddies.com was not taking submissions on dimes right now but I may be wrong because one of the folks that have taken over the Wexler files (Tanman2001) chimed in on your coin. I would reach out to him and see. I'm not sure if you can email yet until you have 50 posts. Maybe try the site directly. Hopefully Tanner (Tanman2001) will chime back in. Here is a link to their site. https://doubleddie.com/ Here is Variety Vista if the above site is not accepting coins. http://varietyvista.com/
-makecents-
|
| |
Replies: 13 / Views: 401 |
|