| Author |
Replies: 14 / Views: 329 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
4621 Posts |
Eventually belongs in "Third Party Coin Grading ( TPG): PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG, ETC." but I'm posting here for eyes...  I've only checked a few coins so far...  -----Burton 50+ year / Life / Emeritus ANA member (joined 12/1/1973) Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, EveryCountry (online) coin club Owned by three cats and a wife of 40+ years (joined 1983) Author: 3rd Edition of the Sample Slabs book, https://www.sampleslabs.info/
|
|
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19586 Posts |
Nice! Good to know the date graded!
|
|
Moderator
 United States
195823 Posts |
Thank you for sharing. 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
710 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
2449 Posts |
What would that tell us besides the grading date? 
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79200 Posts |
A nice feature to have. 
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
107175 Posts |
a Great bit of information to have.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
852 Posts |
Quote: What would that tell us besides the grading date? It has widely been observed that grades have escalated over the years, for coins in equivalent condition or even the exact same coin. Many folks tend to think that the older grades are more honest, but however you look at it, an MS-60 grade from 1995 and an MS-60 from 2025 are not the same grade.
|
|
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts |
I have no idea why I am so excited by this but I definitely am!
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
2449 Posts |
Quote: MS-60 grade from 1995 and an MS-60 from 2025 are not the same grade. So I guess we have another gimmick now: look at the date, not the coin... From your quoted explanation, I see it this way: an 1878 Morgan rated MS65 in a 1995 holder could go higher than an 1878 Morgan rated MS66 in 2026.  My last comment: I don't think that is the reason, or they would lose customers sending coins to be rated by NGC. . . . . .Anyone else with a comment?
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
2449 Posts |
Quote: I have no idea why I am so excited by this but I definitely am! You must own coins in very old NGC holders! 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
2122 Posts |
Thank you for the "head's up," BStrauss
It's too bad they don't show the grade date when you do a look up via the "Competitive Coins" registry. . .
This feature also gives collectors a quick way to confirm the generation of the holder
Edited by cptbilly Today 5H 14M ago
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3739 Posts |
This will also be helpful for online listings. It will let the prospective buyer compare the holder shown online with the correct style for the date the coin was graded.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
195823 Posts |
Quote: This will also be helpful for online listings. It will let the prospective buyer compare the holder shown online with the correct style for the date the coin was graded. 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
2449 Posts |
Quote: This will also be helpful for online listings. It will let the prospective buyer compare the holder shown online with the correct style for the date the coin was graded. For now, as far as we know, it's only the current holder; maybe 5 or 10 years from now it will matter, maybe ! 
|
| |
Replies: 14 / Views: 329 |
|