| Author |
Replies: 14 / Views: 309 |
|
|
Valued Member
Canada
285 Posts |
I've had this coin for awhile. Obviously a key date. Purchased as part of an inherited collection. My initial estimate at the grade when I first acquired it was VG Details due to the corrosion. I think it may well be a ground find. I've been re-organizing and took another look and figured I'd get a second opinion on the grade. I also now recognize what looks to me like PVC contamination and given the details nature of the coin I think it's worth an acetone soak to try to mitigate it. Opinions appreciated.  
|
|
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79212 Posts |
I'd say you're correct.
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
195850 Posts |
I agree. I do like how it has a circulation cameo. 
|
|
New Member
United States
39 Posts |
Acetone is the way to go.
|
|
Valued Member
 Canada
285 Posts |
Thanks for the input folks. The reverse certainly looks better than the obverse IMO and I'm wondering if it's already been cleaned at some point (although maybe not with acetone) giving it the cameo aspect @jbuck mentioned. It's a keeper anyway.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
195850 Posts |
Quote: It's a keeper anyway. 
|
|
Moderator
 United States
107255 Posts |
key date? - yes a nice keeper! 
|
|
Valued Member
 Canada
285 Posts |
Quote: key date? Fair question @Dearborn. I was going by the relatively low mintage. I guess it is not a key date officially. Thanks for pointing it out.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
195850 Posts |
I would call it a semi-key date. It is one of four with mintage below one million.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
981 Posts |
I doubt acetone will touch the green stuff. But certainly won't hurt. I tried acetone and a long long soak in Verdicare and no improvement whatsoever.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37154 Posts |
VF details, environmental damage. No dip or other solution will help this one.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
18924 Posts |
I'm with IGE, I dont think anything can help her but the verdigris may bother me. improperly stored probably in a high humidity environment for a long time.
VF details (ED)
|
|
Valued Member
 Canada
285 Posts |
Thanks folks. I think the split between VG and VF is telling me the grade is probably F Details (ED). Reviewing the ANA grading descriptions found on shieldnickels.net I think that's probably reasonable. My thoughts on cleaning were focused on the green goo areas. The rest of the corrosion is what it is. I have both acetone and Verdi-care so I'll try the acetone first and then Verdi-care if I get no results. The motivation is the green goo looks bad and removing it will hopefully improve the looks and maybe prevent further damage although perhaps that ship has sailed. Also, when the coin came to me it was in a 2x2. Thanks for the inputs.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3559 Posts |
|
|
Moderator
 United States
195850 Posts |
Quote: I have both acetone and Verdi-care so I'll try the acetone first and then Verdi-care if I get no results. The motivation is the green goo looks bad and removing it will hopefully improve the looks and maybe prevent further damage although perhaps that ship has sailed. Let us know how it goes. 
|
| |
Replies: 14 / Views: 309 |
|