Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Specializing in Modern Numismatics Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions300,000 items to help build your collection! Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Curating My Late Father's Collection

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 5 / Views: 211Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
srs77's Avatar
United States
3560 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   9:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I've spoken many times about my dads and my trips to local coin shows over the years. He passed away in 2020 and it's taken me nearly six years to bring myself to curating his collection into mine. Of course being very careful to identify his coins from mine.

I've been working on it for weeks now and it puts such a smile on my face when I come across a coin he picked up at one of those shows. This is one example that I came across today. I miss my dad terribly but moments like today brings me a lot closer to him. He would have celebrated his 94th birthday yesterday and I so wish we could have been at a show like we used to do around his birthday.

Curating-My-Late-Father's-Collection
Edited by srs77
Yesterday 9:01 pm
Bedrock of the Community
ijn1944's Avatar
United States
19590 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent piece! Oozes character!
Pillar of the Community
thecoinguy1964's Avatar
United States
1360 Posts
 Posted Today  6H 56M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great post. I took my 87 year old father to a coin show last year. He was like a kid in a candy store. I was with him when he completed his Indian Head cent set, with a 1877 & another time his 1893-S Morgan silver dollar. I have many of memories of my humble beginings as a collector, with my grandma. She'd stop at the bank on Friday, and bring home penny rolls in the mid 70's. Surprisingly, we never really scored many, but the memories......
Edited by thecoinguy1964
Today 2H 54M ago
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
195873 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Freespeech57's Avatar
United States
711 Posts
 Posted Today  1H 27M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Freespeech57 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"In Rememberance There is Life." Sounds like the memories are alive, vivid and fresh. Thank you for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
srs77's Avatar
United States
3560 Posts
 Posted Today  17M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone, I miss my dad more than I can say, but this hobby reminds me of him every day. Thanks for sharing your memories thecoinguy1964. Eerily similar to mine. My dad could never afford the coins you mentioned, but like your father, I never saw my dad so excited than when we'd go to a show. He'd come home with a small handful of pieces and would drag his books out to research them. Pure joy is how I'd describe him in those moments and that's the greatest treasure I've ever received in this hobby.
  Replies: 5 / Views: 211Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Forums