| Author |
Replies: 27 / Views: 2,370 |
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
750 Posts |
Quote: Ok, but why do you wish you hadn't cracked them out? Because it confused the value? Because the slab was a safer place for an expensive coin?
To answer your question. My thought was that it would be better to keep key dates and more valuable coins in the TPG holders for both valuation and protection. Not sure if many years of contact with the album on the edges would be more likely to cause deterioration or not? Like others have commented I do like the way they look in the album better. Also I am no good at grading and if the 1915S is more likely a low AU then I for sure will not send it in. Everyone's responses and given me some things to think about. I may just leave them as they are. Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. I really appreciate them! 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1303 Posts |
Some years ago I completed a CAPS 1800"s Type Set album and a CAPS 1900's & 2000's Type Set Album. To accomplish this I had to remove the coins from slabs. I was very proud of this set, but am getting on in age. No one in my family is interested. I sent 4 of the coins to a popular 3rd party grading service. All 4 of the coins were previously graded by the grading service. I sent all 4 back after breaking them out to be regraded. To my surprise one of the coins came back with a lower grade and cleaned. Another graded lower with environmental damage. Neither of those 2 coins had those distinctions when graded previously. I understand that some of the 3rd party grading services update their credentials for grading. But, cleaned and environmental damage? I was very careful throughout the process of removing and putting the coins in CAPS capsules. Any thoughts?
|
|
Moderator
 United States
195972 Posts |
Ouch. 
|
|
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts |
I would say that myself and others have noted that the pendulum has swung back to more strict grading. It is postulated that this is due to CAC and CACG. Standards have, by many's perception, tightened and coins that may have slide by before are being flagged and down-graded.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
6903 Posts |
Quote: But, cleaned and environmental damage? Maybe you could post images of those coins on the grading forums for folks to give their opinions? Quote: I would say that myself and others have noted that the pendulum has swung back to more strict grading. If that's really true, then that seems like a problem for registry set competitors. The over-graded older slabs will offer a points advantage over newer, strictly graded slabs. That seems especially punishing for rare variety coins being currently submitted.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5293 Posts |
If the "pendulum has shifted", it does not give me a lot of confidence in the process then or now.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1303 Posts |
I agree with oriole. I had over 100 type coins housed in CAPS coin holders and placed in CAPS 1800's Type Set, and 1900's & 200's Type Set Albums. I am in the process of selling all of the coins in these albums. Some raw coins have been sold and some regraded coins have been sold. I am currently waiting for 8 coins to be returned from PCGS, and 12 coins to be returned from NGC. They will be offered for sale.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
107360 Posts |
I really have no real trust in them anymore.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1303 Posts |
I agree with Dearborn. Along with the coins sent to PCGS and NGC, I have around 30 raw coins (value $100-$325) from the type sets I would like to sell. Any recommendations? ebay fees are way too expensive. I have tried this site, with not much success. Maybe I am doing something wrong?
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1303 Posts |
Update. Received a notice of completed grading of the 8 coins I had sent. Of the 8, 1 came back with "Genuine XF Details (97 - Environmental Damage)". Another "Genuine VF Details (98 - Damage".) Recently, I had 12 coins sent to PCGS. Counting the first 4 and the last 8, 12 coins total, 1/3 came back with Damaged or Cleaned. I find it very difficult to understand how 4 regraded coins could have been so drastically graded different along the way. Must be about the money.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
195972 Posts |
Ouch. 
|
|
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts |
Did the others upgrade/downgrade or remain the same as previously graded?
|
| |
Replies: 27 / Views: 2,370 |