Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsJoin Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall 300,000 items to help build your collection!








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Definitive Test For Black Beauty Nickels

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 290 / Views: 79,343Next Topic
Page: of 20
Moderator
Learn More...
nickelsearcher's Avatar
United States
15948 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2026  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the

I don't believe your 1964 nickel is a Black Beauty. Likely some form of environmental toning.

Please crop and properly rotate your photos before posting them here.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
CoinForMe's Avatar
United States
2455 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2026  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinForMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say it's very hard to tell if it's a Black Beauty nickel in a picture; lighting will affect the surface's appearance.
Take your coin to a knowledgeable local dealer for a more accurate response.
BTW, Proof Coins mostly look black in pictures...
Pillar of the Community
Chase007's Avatar
United States
7597 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2026  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't believe your 1964 nickel is a Black Beauty. Likely some form of environmental toning.


Quote:
I would say it's very hard to tell if it's a Black Beauty nickel in a picture; lighting will affect the surface's appearance.


Could not agree more since a "Black Beauty" nickel is primarily caused by an improper annealing process during minting and it is difficult to identify and confirm the real deals by just looking at the pictures and in most cases they are not .

Quote:
"Black Beauty" nickels were most often 1958 and 1959 business strikes - never heard of a "Proof" Black Beauty nickel.

Absolutely correct..
Edited by Chase007
04/25/2026 11:05 am
Moderator
Learn More...
Dearborn's Avatar
United States
107778 Posts
Pillar of the Community
colonialjohn's Avatar
United States
1762 Posts
 Posted Today  15M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Incredible. Since I completed my Jefferson nickel WW II Lamination XRF/SEM-EDS study and its published in the Newman Portal and in the recent Mint Error News #97 - see here - https://minterrornews.com/issue97.pdf on page 144 I was considering what is the next challenge? Seems these Black Beauties of 1958 & 1959-P are next? I contacted the two principal people in this thread today by E-Mail to consider being reviewers/consultants to this paper. So that I get a clearer picture of what is bothering you guys on these BB's feel free to ask some questions after reading my paper in Mike Byers Journal on these WWII nickels and how this technology can be used for BB's. I did not think this would be my next metallurgical project another coinage from the U.S. in the 20thC but these coins I believe would work well using this dual analytical approach. Shoot me some questions on this topic thread or privately. Realize I only heard of BB's only a week ago but have been doing serious reading on this phenomenon for the last week. I already worked out an anlytical schematic on what probably needs to be done but if people ask questions and I answer perhaps I can get some YOUR WRONG/THIS MAKE SENSE/TRY THIS/WHY ARE PCGS-NGC DIFFERENT? WHY ONLY ANACS. WHY the metal Co? Initially this can be complex/confusing due to other minting factors, coinages, etc exhibiting dark colors. Lets talk. John Lorenzo, Numismatist.
Edited by colonialjohn
Today 12M ago
  Previous TopicReplies: 290 / Views: 79,343Next Topic
Page: of 20

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Forums