| Author |
Replies: 15 / Views: 316 |
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79592 Posts |
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196490 Posts |
Very nice! 
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
79592 Posts |
Thank you, jbuck!  It's pretty big as well.
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2325 Posts |
That's pretty steep. These are $17 at my lcs.
You realize when you know how to think, it empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.
-Neil deGrasse Tyson
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
79592 Posts |
I know. It's not cheap.  The seller's got to make money too. I know that it's pricey. I almost ordered one from the Golden State Mint. It was gonna cost about a dollar more, so I bought one off of ebay instead. Do you have any suggestions when it comes to buying generic silver rounds? Not sure if my local coin shop sell these or not. I also don't plan on selling these rounds anytime soon.
Errers and Varietys.
Edited by Errers and Varietys Yesterday 10:38 pm
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2356 Posts |
When buying silver just for melt value then generic rounds and bars are a good option. The 1 oz buffalo round is popular, several private mints make them. Watch for online sales from the major dealers like SD Bullion, Bullion Exchanges, Monument Metals, APMEX and others or directly from a mint like Golden State. Bullion from governement mints like American Silver Eagle, Canada Maple Leaf, Britain Britannia have a higher premium when buying but you get more for them when selling. Of course buy/sell prices depend on specific dealer, coin store, market conditions. Some like to stack circulated 90% silver pre-1965 dimes, quarters, halves, cull Morgan and Peace dollars. Just saying all this for newbies.
Edited by livingwater Today 13H 29M ago
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
79592 Posts |
Thank you for that, livingwater.  That was very informative and helpful. I'm still somewhat new when it comes to stacking silver. I just started doing this fairly recently.
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
657 Posts |
I have some 1/10th oz rounds with the same obverse design, and others with the Buffalo nickel design front and rear. They are slightly larger than a US Dime. I bought them "just because". Naturally, fractional silver is cheaper in the form of common, circulated 90% US coinage.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
9018 Posts |
Very nice round, E&V! Quote: I'm still somewhat new when it comes to stacking silver. I just started doing this fairly recently. As others have stated, circulated 90% silver coinage is great for stacking. I started several years ago by buying mixed lots of "junk" silver that could have anything from 1800's coins up to 1964. The way I looked at it, I could buy for melt or possibly less and then had all these coins to search for varieties and errors, a doubly good purchase in my opinion.  I have also come across decent date/mint coins as well. Good luck with your stacking!
-makecents-
Edited by -makecents- Today 3H 56M ago
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
79592 Posts |
Thank you, makecents! I'll start doing that more. It would save me a lot of money in the long run.
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
657 Posts |
-makecents- That's a good reason for me to not call 90% coinage, junk. I've sold a lot of the 90% I once had, but to this day some of the coins that came into my possession remain in my collection. It is sold as a commodity, but there be keepers in them there bags, LOL.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
9018 Posts |
Quote: -makecents- That's a good reason for me to not call 90% coinage, junk. I've sold a lot of the 90% I once had, but to this day some of the coins that came into my possession remain in my collection. It is sold as a commodity, but there be keepers in them there bags, LOL. I agree, that's why I used the parentheses.  But that is how I search the bay a lot of times, as many of the sellers consider it junk.... I have found some nice goodies in those "junk" lots. 
-makecents-
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
79592 Posts |
I'm going to not start buying generic silver rounds as much. I just bought one "junk" silver Dime for 4.99 on ebay. I'll start buying more 90% silver coins. It seems to be a much better long term investment than buying generic silver rounds.
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
9018 Posts |
E&V, if you have a set amount you can spend every so often, just save up and don't buy for a while and buy a "lot" as opposed to buying a single coin, you will get better cost overall generally and then you have the searching the coins I mentioned for varieties and errors. Plus, it teaches you other denominations and years that you would not typically search, it broadens your "coin knowledge" and possibly finding a good bonus, all the time you are still stacking silver.
-makecents-
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
79592 Posts |
Thanks again, makecents.  I'll take your advice. I'll buy them in a lot next time. I only bought one, because, I've spent a lot of money this month on coins.  I usually like to spend like around 60.00 to 80.00 at most usually, if I can do it. I don't make a lot of money, so I have to carefully plan out my purchases and make sure I can pay for all of my expenses, like bills and rent.
Errers and Varietys.
Edited by Errers and Varietys Today 44M ago
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
9018 Posts |
I understand.
Take your time when doing this. Calculate the total worth of the coins in melt worth, do research on the different types of coins in the lot, some are worth more than others and worth more than melt, do research on the seller, make sure they have good ratings and finally, know your limit you want to bid on a lot and let it go if it goes beyond that limit. You have to be cautious and patient, don't just buy something just because you want to....
-makecents-
|
| |
Replies: 15 / Views: 316 |
|