After the US Mint changed the composition of the cent in 1982, copper prices got my attention. Being a electrician and seeing the price of copper wire double and even triple in a short time, really got my attention.
I have always collected nickels. This side of coin collecting has been my main focus. I started to save all my nickels. Now seeing what is going on with the production numbers for nickels, are we in line for a composition change here? I remember talk o/a 2007 of a Half Dime.
Maybe this is a crazy idea. What do you think? Harry
Oh yuck! Not the Half Dime! They're too small to be useful. I'm sure the government will change the composition rather than introduce a whole new coin.
Durability will be an issue, so they'll have to consider that when looking at the cost factor as well. I doubt we'll see dead Pres's disappear anytime soon though..........although I'd sure love to see lady liberty grace our coins again.
It's coming I think. There are provisions in the proposed 2011 budget that would allow the U.S. Mint grater flexibility as to the material composition of its coins.
- Office of Management and Budget 2011 Budget - Terminations, Reductions and Savings: page 100
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use