Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsCoin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Specializing in Modern Numismatics 300,000 items to help build your collection! Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

JFK Half Dollar Roll Hunters: Silver, Proofs And Other Finds

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28,074 / Views: 2,337,019Next Topic
Page: of 1872
Pillar of the Community
Deltron's Avatar
United States
508 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2011  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Deltron to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally some results !

Got 1 box last week, which was a total skunk.

But my 1 box this week netted me

1 1963 Franklin
1 1964
and 1 1968 !

Any day I find silver is a great one.
Edited by Deltron
10/11/2011 4:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
murrellington's Avatar
United States
3276 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2011  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although I post on here often, I am ashamed to say I have never searched a box. I could never really afford a box. I still love this thread though. anyways, a few times I was convinced to go buy some CWR of halves, only to be disappointed by marked rolls. I have tried a few times and only get searched stuff, except once I got a proof.

So today I got my first silver! Was buying a box of nickels from the bank and saw a silver rim in the teller tray. I was hoping for a 90% kennedy but thought it would be a 40%. Turns out my first silver ended up being a Walking Liberty half, a 1946. Now that was awesome.
Edited by murrellington
10/11/2011 5:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2011  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oldno7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up $150 in CWR and got nothing worth keeping.
Valued Member
googoo's Avatar
United States
466 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2011  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add googoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
20 bucks in cwr while dumping other coins
The one roll had some play in it and the coins sounded really promising clinking when I shook the roll.
When I opened the rolls up there was no silver/proofs/nifc or anything exciting
oh well it was worth the shot
Valued Member
everything's Avatar
United States
493 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2011  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add everything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went through two boxes, the first nothing, 2nd 4 40%, and a 1964.
Pillar of the Community
LTMets44's Avatar
United States
580 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2011  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LTMets44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bank that my father goes to has a coin counter. He talked to the manager a while ago and asked him to save the half dollars for him and the manager agreed. It takes a long time to get a full bag ($500 worth) but we figured we try.

Our first bag (a few months ago) had one 1964 Silver & 3 1965-70 40% silvers. But I noticed a lot of halfs had a marker line through it.

Our second bag (today) I noticed at least 10% of the coins had a marker line through it. Now we still found a 1967 40% but I am assuming that all the marker lines are from other searchers so I have a few questions.

1) Should I continue getting Half Dollars this way. (We had been lucky both times.)
2) Why do searchers put a marker line through the coin and how many coins do they normally mark at a time?
3) Is there a better, quicker way to get Half Dollars to search through?

Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
unholyroller's Avatar
United States
1903 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2011  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would think that you could potentially have a great opportunity there, even if you have to wade through some quantity of roll searcher rejects. I have a much higher success rate with customer turned in coin from the bank than I do with bank rolls. All it takes is one customer to dump "ol' granpappy's" coin to make you a winner. If I had a chance at coin like you do I wouldn't turn it down.
Edited by unholyroller
10/11/2011 11:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
LTMets44's Avatar
United States
580 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2011  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LTMets44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking the same thing. I figured if another searcher is dumping his coins at my bank. There is no way he is searching the one that are already in there when he dumps, so I guess I'll see if 3rd time is a charm. It just takes so long to fill a bag so I have to wait for a few months.
Pillar of the Community
Ricardocody's Avatar
United States
1204 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2011  03:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ricardocody to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For sure you should keep looking there because if you found couple in the 2 past bags it means the tellers there dont cherrypick so anytime you can strike a nice silver dump what worth the afford !
Edited by Ricardocody
10/12/2011 04:00 am
Pillar of the Community
rachums107's Avatar
United States
3345 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2011  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rachums107 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check that 1946 for DDR murry

I agree with Ricardo.
Valued Member
akane17's Avatar
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2011  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add akane17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 boxes today - majority were in 1 box (not sure what the breakdown per box was)
4 rolls contained 21 coins - +$2 already
28 @ 40%
1 1964
1 1959
2 1949d
5 1942 walkers (3p, 1d, 1s)
Pillar of the Community
Ricardocody's Avatar
United States
1204 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2011  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ricardocody to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nica Akane ! I'm half way of a box and I start to smell somenthing lol .Btw was it S&S boxes ?
Edited by Ricardocody
10/12/2011 2:48 pm
Valued Member
akane17's Avatar
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2011  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add akane17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only search the beautiful yellow rolls.
Pillar of the Community
LTMets44's Avatar
United States
580 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2011  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LTMets44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where do you order "boxes" from and how much are they?
Valued Member
Pungod's Avatar
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2011  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pungod to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I have been reading the history of this forum for all of the absolutely incredible information given since this forum began. I have recently started searching half dollar rolls and I anticipate doing this until carpal tunnel says otherwise! I don't collect to place in an album or for complete sets. I enjoy more of the "searching for gold" or more to the point "searching for half dollars worth more then 50 cents now and in the future. I know to save 1970 and earlier as well as proofs. The questions I have are:
1. Are the NIFC dated 2002 to current worth saving?
2. How can I identify clad proofs 1971-2001 from just shiny non-proof clads?
  Previous TopicReplies: 28,074 / Views: 2,337,019Next Topic
Page: of 1872

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Forums