Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Specializing in Modern Numismatics Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes.








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1895-R Italy - 1 Centesimo W/Impact-Induced Bi-Level Radial Die Crack

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
First Page  Showing last 15 replies.
Author Replies: 16 / Views: 315Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1782 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2026  01:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MintedNotPrinted to your friends list
Agreed!

Such a small die too, it's only a 15mm / 1g coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79456 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2026  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list
Are you sure that it's not a Lamination error?
Errers and Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1782 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MintedNotPrinted to your friends list
I wasn't sure from the seller's photos when I bought it (it was listed as "error"), so I completely understand the hesitation, though I would say that I'd be happy with a lamination error regardless

I'll gladly post some more angled shots if you're interested. The amount of die cracking rather than peeling, and the visible elevation difference in hand, has me thinking a crack/break of some form.
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
196311 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79456 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list
I'd love to see more angles pictures of your coin, MintedNotPrinted.
Errers and Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1782 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MintedNotPrinted to your friends list
Thanks, jbuck, Errers

I'll post some more shots once I'm home tonight
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
196311 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list

Quote:
I'll post some more shots once I'm home tonight
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
107826 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1782 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MintedNotPrinted to your friends list
Edit: Thank you, Dearborn! I was adding these pics as you posted.

Here are two angled shots from my phone camera and two closeups through a 10x loupe at 5x zoom.

1895-R-Italy---1-Centesimo-W/Impact-Induced-Bi-Level-Radial-Die-Crack
1895-R-Italy---1-Centesimo-W/Impact-Induced-Bi-Level-Radial-Die-Crack
1895-R-Italy---1-Centesimo-W/Impact-Induced-Bi-Level-Radial-Die-Crack
1895-R-Italy---1-Centesimo-W/Impact-Induced-Bi-Level-Radial-Die-Crack



Edit 2: It's a very small coin, I'm struggling to get a better photo:

1895-R-Italy---1-Centesimo-W/Impact-Induced-Bi-Level-Radial-Die-Crack
Edited by MintedNotPrinted
Yesterday 11:09 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79456 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list
Thank you for the angled photos, MintedNotPrinted. Looks like a Die Crack.
Errers and Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1782 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MintedNotPrinted to your friends list
Thank you, Errers
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
196311 Posts
 Posted Today  2H 1M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list
Thank you for the additional views.

The main line looks like a crack to me, but the "lamination" area is still perplexing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1782 Posts
 Posted Today  1H 37M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MintedNotPrinted to your friends list
I agree, it is!

Perhaps a very thin layer of the die flaked off, just enough for a rough finish but still retaining detail? The crack has a few sharp 90° angles in there.
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
196311 Posts
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
107826 Posts
Page 2 of 2   Replies: 16 / Views: 315Next Topic Page 2 of 2
First Page  Showing last 15 replies.
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.


    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Forums